Posted to mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org by John Lilley <jo...@redpoint.net> on 2014/02/10 15:44:43 UTC

very long timeout on failed RM connect

Our application (running outside the Hadoop cluster) connects to the RM through YarnClient.  This works fine, except we've found that if the RM address or port is misconfigured in our software, or a firewall blocks access, the first call into the client (in this case getNodeReports) hangs for a very long time.  I've tried
                conf.set("ipc.client.connect.max.retries", "2");
But this doesn't help.  Is there a configuration setting I can make on the YarnClient that will reduce this hang time?
I understand why this long-winded retry strategy exists, in order to prevent a highly-loaded cluster from failing jobs.  But it is not appropriate for an interactive application.
Thanks
John

RE: very long timeout on failed RM connect

Posted by John Lilley <jo...@redpoint.net>.
I've tried setting all of this at once:
    conf.set("yarn.resourcemanager.connect.max-wait.ms<http://yarn.resourcemanager.connect.max-wait.ms>", "500");
    conf.set("yarn.resourcemanager.connect.retry-interval.ms<http://yarn.resourcemanager.connect.retry-interval.ms>", "500");
   conf.set("ipc.client.connect.max.retries", "2");
and it still seems to wait about 15 seconds.

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.
ipc.client.connect.retry.interval sets the underlying ipc retry interval

yarn.resourcemanager.connect.retry-interval.ms sets the upper layer
clientRMProxy retry interval.

Each clientRMProxy retry includes one full round of retries of the
underlying ipc. In each ClientRMProxy retry, the max number of underlying
ipc retry is controlled by "ipc.client.connect.max.retries".

Did you try setting both ?

Jian

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 8:36 AM, John Lilley <jo...@redpoint.net>wrote:

>  Setting
>
>     conf.set("yarn.resourcemanager.connect.max-wait.ms", "500");
>
>     conf.set("yarn.resourcemanager.connect.retry-interval.ms", "500");
>
> still results in a wait of around 15 seconds.  Setting this:
>
>    conf.set("ipc.client.connect.max.retries", "2");
>
> Also does not help.  Is there a retry parameter that can be set?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: very long timeout on failed RM connect

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.
ipc.client.connect.retry.interval sets the underlying ipc retry interval

yarn.resourcemanager.connect.retry-interval.ms sets the upper layer
clientRMProxy retry interval.

Each clientRMProxy retry includes one full round of retries of the
underlying ipc. In each ClientRMProxy retry, the max number of underlying
ipc retry is controlled by "ipc.client.connect.max.retries".

Did you try setting both ?

Jian

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 8:36 AM, John Lilley <jo...@redpoint.net>wrote:

>  Setting
>
>     conf.set("yarn.resourcemanager.connect.max-wait.ms", "500");
>
>     conf.set("yarn.resourcemanager.connect.retry-interval.ms", "500");
>
> still results in a wait of around 15 seconds.  Setting this:
>
>    conf.set("ipc.client.connect.max.retries", "2");
>
> Also does not help.  Is there a retry parameter that can be set?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: very long timeout on failed RM connect

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.
ipc.client.connect.retry.interval sets the underlying ipc retry interval

yarn.resourcemanager.connect.retry-interval.ms sets the upper layer
clientRMProxy retry interval.

Each clientRMProxy retry includes one full round of retries of the
underlying ipc. In each ClientRMProxy retry, the max number of underlying
ipc retry is controlled by "ipc.client.connect.max.retries".

Did you try setting both ?

Jian

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 8:36 AM, John Lilley <jo...@redpoint.net>wrote:

>  Setting
>
>     conf.set("yarn.resourcemanager.connect.max-wait.ms", "500");
>
>     conf.set("yarn.resourcemanager.connect.retry-interval.ms", "500");
>
> still results in a wait of around 15 seconds.  Setting this:
>
>    conf.set("ipc.client.connect.max.retries", "2");
>
> Also does not help.  Is there a retry parameter that can be set?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: very long timeout on failed RM connect

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.
ipc.client.connect.retry.interval sets the underlying ipc retry interval

yarn.resourcemanager.connect.retry-interval.ms sets the upper layer
clientRMProxy retry interval.

Each clientRMProxy retry includes one full round of retries of the
underlying ipc. In each ClientRMProxy retry, the max number of underlying
ipc retry is controlled by "ipc.client.connect.max.retries".

Did you try setting both ?

Jian

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 8:36 AM, John Lilley <jo...@redpoint.net>wrote:

>  Setting
>
>     conf.set("yarn.resourcemanager.connect.max-wait.ms", "500");
>
>     conf.set("yarn.resourcemanager.connect.retry-interval.ms", "500");
>
> still results in a wait of around 15 seconds.  Setting this:
>
>    conf.set("ipc.client.connect.max.retries", "2");
>
> Also does not help.  Is there a retry parameter that can be set?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

RE: very long timeout on failed RM connect

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: very long timeout on failed RM connect

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: very long timeout on failed RM connect

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: very long timeout on failed RM connect

Posted by Jian He <jh...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE