Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by Ashish Vijaywargiya <vi...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/15 11:46:47 UTC

Re: Question related to use of WorkEffortAssoc entity in OFBiz.

Can anybody having good insight on WorkEffort module put some comments to
understand this scenario ?
I am also interested to know about it.

Thanks !!!

--
Ashish Vijaywargiya
Indore, India

Re: Question related to use of WorkEffortAssoc entity in OFBiz.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
David,

From: "David E Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>

> Jacques,
>
> We can't document every little thing. If best practices and other
> recommendations and guidelines are too big then we might as well not
> have them because no one will take the time to understand them, and
> even those few who read them all the way through won't be able to
> remember them.

I thought about putting some organised links from bottom of Contributors Best Practice page. Hence those interested would read. I
know it's not easy to remember, sometimes I have to read things twice (with often a long time between) or even more to really absorb
them. Maybe because there are a lot of them. Nevertheless, I believe that having them documented is better than not. At least the
Commiters should be aware of them. I'm one from 2 years and I'm still not aware of all I should be. Thanks to your repeated efforts
I was able to grab most of the framework and some subtleties here and there. Really... documentation help !

> If you'd like to then by all means please do (this is not a centrally
> driven organization). Just keep in mind your target audience. If your
> question is really "how can we avoid this sort of conversation in the
> future" then I'm not really sure there is a good answer. With anything
> complex people really have to explore it and learn for themselves and
> telling them what they need to know before they realize they need to
> know it usually doesn't help. It just takes time for people to learn
> about things and understand common patterns.

Yes you are right, my father always told me the same :o)

> If anything I'd prefer people to have a good understanding of data
> structure theories and then converse intelligently based on that, and
> not have to converse at all for common situations that really need no
> discussion. However, most people don't have that background and can't
> tolerate weeks or months of study about graphs and trees and lists and
> sets and tables and indexes and hashes... and the differences and
> similarities between them... and common algorithms for working with
> them, and so on and so forth.
> I really wish EVERYONE involved with enterprise software would learn
> about these things. They are the foundational tools that we all work
> with on a daily basis and the theory and ideas around them are not
> really all that difficult compared with their utility and value in the
> things we create with them.

Yes I agree, and I'm missing such a detailled knowledge too, coming more from the algorithm branch of IT studies (sorry, BD always
bored me, even if I liked them more viewed from the logic theory side ;o). However, to be pragmatic, I'm rather sure that pointing
some details out will help people to better understand underlying concepts.

Thansk for taking the time to comment.

Jacques

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Jacques,

From: "David E Jones" <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.
I totally agree.
Unfortunately in the manufacturing component it is even worse than
this: the parentId is used for some of the associations (if I am not
wrong, between a production run and its tasks) while the
WorkEffortAssoc is used for others (routing to routing tasks
associations, etc...); this has been done in this way in the early
days of the manufacturing component and it should really fixed... I
hope to find some time to work on it in the few weeks/months.

Jacopo

Posted by David E Jones <jo...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
Hi Ashish,

From: "Ashish Vijaywargiya" <vi...@gmail.com>
> Thanks Jacopo for your comments.
> Let's see what other has to say about workEffortParentId field.

It's crystal clear to me : I agree with Jacopo. Maybe we should even add a comment at each denormalised field (in model) to explain
and make this more clear (maybe it's ealready done I did not check)

Jacques

Posted by Ashish Vijaywargiya <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@gmail.com>.