Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Ivan Tretyakov <it...@griddynamics.com> on 2013/11/19 12:26:45 UTC

Limit on total jobs running using fair scheduler

Hello!

We are using CDH 4.1.1 (Version: 2.0.0-mr1-cdh4.1.1) and fair-scheduler.
We need to limit total number of jobs which can run at the same time on
cluster.
I can see maxRunningJobs options but it sets limit for pool or user.
We wouldn't like to limit each pool or user we just need to set limit on
total number of jobs running.

Is it possible to do it using fair scheduler?
Can capacity scheduler help here?
Maybe there are other options to achieve the goal?

Thanks in advance!

--
Best Regards
Ivan Tretyakov

Re: Limit on total jobs running using fair scheduler

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.
fot MRv1, Its impossible.
 On 2013-11-22 5:46 AM, "Ivan Tretyakov" <it...@griddynamics.com>

Posted by Omkar Joshi <oj...@hortonworks.com>.
MRv2 :)

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 1:46 PM, Ivan Tretyakov <itretyakov@griddynamics.com

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.
fot MRv1, Its impossible.
 On 2013-11-22 5:46 AM, "Ivan Tretyakov" <it...@griddynamics.com>

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.
fot MRv1, Its impossible.
 On 2013-11-22 5:46 AM, "Ivan Tretyakov" <it...@griddynamics.com>

Posted by Omkar Joshi <oj...@hortonworks.com>.
MRv2 :)

Posted by Azuryy Yu <az...@gmail.com>.
fot MRv1, Its impossible.
 On 2013-11-22 5:46 AM, "Ivan Tretyakov" <it...@griddynamics.com>

Posted by Omkar Joshi <oj...@hortonworks.com>.
MRv2 :)

Posted by Omkar Joshi <oj...@hortonworks.com>.
MRv2 :)

Posted by Ivan Tretyakov <it...@griddynamics.com>.
Thank you for your replies!

We are using MR version 1 and my question is regarding this version.

Omkar,
are you talking about MR1 or MR2? I didn't find property to limit number of
running jobs per queue for capacity scheduler using MR1. Did I wrong
somewhere? What exactly option do you mean?

Sandy,
thanks, I got it. But unfortunately we are using MR1 for now.

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 2:12 AM, Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, this is not possible in the MR1 fair scheduler without
> setting the jobs for individual pools.  In MR2, fair scheduler hierarchical
> queues will allow setting maxRunningApps at the top of the hierarchy, which
> would have the effect you're looking for.
>
> -Sandy
>

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Omkar Joshi <oj...@hortonworks.com>wrote:
>
>> Not sure about the fair scheduler but in capacity scheduler you can
>> achieve this by controlling number of jobs/applications per queue.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Omkar Joshi
>> *Hortonworks Inc.* <http://www.hortonworks.com>
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 3:26 AM, Ivan Tretyakov <
>> itretyakov@griddynamics.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> We are using CDH 4.1.1 (Version: 2.0.0-mr1-cdh4.1.1) and fair-scheduler.
>>> We need to limit total number of jobs which can run at the same time on
>>> cluster.
>>> I can see maxRunningJobs options but it sets limit for pool or user.
>>> We wouldn't like to limit each pool or user we just need to set limit on
>>> total number of jobs running.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to do it using fair scheduler?
>>> Can capacity scheduler help here?
>>> Maybe there are other options to achieve the goal?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best Regards
>>> Ivan Tretyakov
>>>

>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Best Regards
Ivan Tretyakov

Deployment Engineer
Grid Dynamics
+7 812 640 38 76
Skype: ivan.v.tretyakov
www.griddynamics.com

Posted by Ivan Tretyakov <it...@griddynamics.com>.
Thank you for your replies!

We are using MR version 1 and my question is regarding this version.

Omkar,
are you talking about MR1 or MR2? I didn't find property to limit number of
running jobs per queue for capacity scheduler using MR1. Did I wrong
somewhere? What exactly option do you mean?

Sandy,
thanks, I got it. But unfortunately we are using MR1 for now.

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 2:12 AM, Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, this is not possible in the MR1 fair scheduler without
> setting the jobs for individual pools.  In MR2, fair scheduler hierarchical
> queues will allow setting maxRunningApps at the top of the hierarchy, which
> would have the effect you're looking for.
>
> -Sandy
>

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Omkar Joshi <oj...@hortonworks.com>wrote:
>
>> Not sure about the fair scheduler but in capacity scheduler you can
>> achieve this by controlling number of jobs/applications per queue.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Omkar Joshi
>> *Hortonworks Inc.* <http://www.hortonworks.com>
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 3:26 AM, Ivan Tretyakov <
>> itretyakov@griddynamics.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> We are using CDH 4.1.1 (Version: 2.0.0-mr1-cdh4.1.1) and fair-scheduler.
>>> We need to limit total number of jobs which can run at the same time on
>>> cluster.
>>> I can see maxRunningJobs options but it sets limit for pool or user.
>>> We wouldn't like to limit each pool or user we just need to set limit on
>>> total number of jobs running.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to do it using fair scheduler?
>>> Can capacity scheduler help here?
>>> Maybe there are other options to achieve the goal?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best Regards
>>> Ivan Tretyakov
>>>

>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Best Regards
Ivan Tretyakov

Deployment Engineer
Grid Dynamics
+7 812 640 38 76
Skype: ivan.v.tretyakov
www.griddynamics.com

Posted by Ivan Tretyakov <it...@griddynamics.com>.
Thank you for your replies!

We are using MR version 1 and my question is regarding this version.

Omkar,
are you talking about MR1 or MR2? I didn't find property to limit number of
running jobs per queue for capacity scheduler using MR1. Did I wrong
somewhere? What exactly option do you mean?

Sandy,
thanks, I got it. But unfortunately we are using MR1 for now.

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 2:12 AM, Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, this is not possible in the MR1 fair scheduler without
> setting the jobs for individual pools.  In MR2, fair scheduler hierarchical
> queues will allow setting maxRunningApps at the top of the hierarchy, which
> would have the effect you're looking for.
>
> -Sandy
>

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Omkar Joshi <oj...@hortonworks.com>wrote:
>
>> Not sure about the fair scheduler but in capacity scheduler you can
>> achieve this by controlling number of jobs/applications per queue.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Omkar Joshi
>> *Hortonworks Inc.* <http://www.hortonworks.com>
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 3:26 AM, Ivan Tretyakov <
>> itretyakov@griddynamics.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> We are using CDH 4.1.1 (Version: 2.0.0-mr1-cdh4.1.1) and fair-scheduler.
>>> We need to limit total number of jobs which can run at the same time on
>>> cluster.
>>> I can see maxRunningJobs options but it sets limit for pool or user.
>>> We wouldn't like to limit each pool or user we just need to set limit on
>>> total number of jobs running.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to do it using fair scheduler?
>>> Can capacity scheduler help here?
>>> Maybe there are other options to achieve the goal?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best Regards
>>> Ivan Tretyakov
>>>

>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Best Regards
Ivan Tretyakov

Deployment Engineer
Grid Dynamics
+7 812 640 38 76
Skype: ivan.v.tretyakov
www.griddynamics.com

Posted by Ivan Tretyakov <it...@griddynamics.com>.
Thank you for your replies!

We are using MR version 1 and my question is regarding this version.

Omkar,
are you talking about MR1 or MR2? I didn't find property to limit number of
running jobs per queue for capacity scheduler using MR1. Did I wrong
somewhere? What exactly option do you mean?

Sandy,
thanks, I got it. But unfortunately we are using MR1 for now.

On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 2:12 AM, Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, this is not possible in the MR1 fair scheduler without
> setting the jobs for individual pools.  In MR2, fair scheduler hierarchical
> queues will allow setting maxRunningApps at the top of the hierarchy, which
> would have the effect you're looking for.
>
> -Sandy
>

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 2:01 PM, Omkar Joshi <oj...@hortonworks.com>wrote:
>
>> Not sure about the fair scheduler but in capacity scheduler you can
>> achieve this by controlling number of jobs/applications per queue.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Omkar Joshi
>> *Hortonworks Inc.* <http://www.hortonworks.com>
>>

>> On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 3:26 AM, Ivan Tretyakov <
>> itretyakov@griddynamics.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> We are using CDH 4.1.1 (Version: 2.0.0-mr1-cdh4.1.1) and fair-scheduler.
>>> We need to limit total number of jobs which can run at the same time on
>>> cluster.
>>> I can see maxRunningJobs options but it sets limit for pool or user.
>>> We wouldn't like to limit each pool or user we just need to set limit on
>>> total number of jobs running.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to do it using fair scheduler?
>>> Can capacity scheduler help here?
>>> Maybe there are other options to achieve the goal?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best Regards
>>> Ivan Tretyakov
>>>

>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Best Regards
Ivan Tretyakov

Deployment Engineer
Grid Dynamics
+7 812 640 38 76
Skype: ivan.v.tretyakov
www.griddynamics.com

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Sandy Ryza <sa...@cloudera.com>.

Posted by Omkar Joshi <oj...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Limit on total jobs running using fair scheduler

Posted by Omkar Joshi <oj...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Limit on total jobs running using fair scheduler

Posted by Omkar Joshi <oj...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Limit on total jobs running using fair scheduler

Posted by Omkar Joshi <oj...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE