Posted to general@james.apache.org by Steve Brewin <sb...@synsys.com> on 2004/07/23 00:38:54 UTC

Plans for a point release?

Hi,

Are there any plans for a point release of James 2.2.x?

The version of fetchmail in the 2.2.0 release fetchmail is broken to the
extent that it does not fetchmail and therefore ranks as a critical problem
that we should address as soon as possible. We need a point release to fix
it.

For details of the problem see
http://nagoya.apache.org/jira/browse/JAMES-300. I've tested and committed
the fixes to 'james-server-2_1_fcs', so code-wise we are ready to roll.

I see that there are a few other issues around. Do we want to wait for these
to be resolved or roll out a point release with just the fetchmail fixes
now?

-- Steve

PS: Personally, I'm rolling out of 'net access shortly until late Monday, so
any posted reponses will not be responded to until then.

RE: Plans for a point release?

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> Are there any plans for a point release of James 2.2.x?

If I don't break my other foot, and I don't need to get my cat into
emergency surgery again, I'll try to get a lot done on JAMES by Monday.
Which is when you'll be reading this, so we'll see how I did.  :-)

I *may* include a transient patch for handling DNSRBL in the SMTP handler.
We are seeing such an incredibly high rate of SPAM now, it is actually
causing out of memory errors due to the number of entries in the file system
repository.  For the longer term, we need to do the in-protocol processor
and hopefully a write-only attribute on file system repositories that tells
them not to cache their index.

Anyone wants to do the latter, please feel free.  Should not be much work.

	--- Noel