Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by blargy <zm...@hotmail.com> on 2010/06/17 18:06:57 UTC

Hadoop vs HBase

Hi,

Im new to HBase as well as Hadoop and I am trying to determine if either
will be a fit for our company. Can someone quickly describe what are the
differences between HBase and Hadoop. What are they both good at? Where do
they differ? I am basically just looking for some pretty generic replies to
see if we could benefit from using either of them.

Thanks

Re: Hadoop vs HBase

Posted by Eric Sammer <es...@cloudera.com>.
Hadoop is a distributed file system plus a map reduce computation
layer. It's geared toward processing large datasets in parallel and is
well suited to batch operations (i.e. jobs that take ~10 minutes and
higher). HBase sits on top of Hadoop and uses the distributed file
system (HDFS) as storage layer for a distributed column oriented
database. HBase can do fast random access of individual rows (~2ms -
10ms) while scaling to enormous sizes. HBase can also act as the
source or destination of a map reduce job although this would only be
useful in a batch situation. Additional information and details can be
found at http://hadoop.apache.org and http://hbase.apache.org. For
more specific answers about suitability for a certain job, we'd need
to know more about your system and what you're trying to do.

Hope that helps.

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:06 PM, blargy <zm...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Im new to HBase as well as Hadoop and I am trying to determine if either
> will be a fit for our company. Can someone quickly describe what are the
> differences between HBase and Hadoop. What are they both good at? Where do
> they differ? I am basically just looking for some pretty generic replies to
> see if we could benefit from using either of them.
>
> Thanks

Eric Sammer
twitter: esammer
data: www.cloudera.com