Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com> on 2013/02/05 13:21:45 UTC

LBHttpSolrServer not recommended for updates out-of-date prohibition?

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/LBHttpSolrServer

Has prohibitions against using for updates. I'm assuming that this is for
non-cloud mode, right? 'Cause I looked at CloudSolrServer and it uses
LBHttpSolrServer, so I was a bit uncertain.

I'm guessing a case of a little knowledge being dangerous. Should I update
the Wiki for LBHttpSolrServer?

I'm thinking something along the lines of pointing out that the _reason_
LBHttpSolrServer is a Bad Thing for Updates when NOT in SolrCloud is that
updates would then go to non-master nodes, but that doesn't apply in
SolrCloud. That said, one should use CloudSolrServer rather than
LBHttpSolrServer directly.

Erick

Re: LBHttpSolrServer not recommended for updates out-of-date prohibition?

Posted by Shawn Heisey <so...@elyograg.org>.
On 2/5/2013 5:21 AM, Erick Erickson wrote:
> http://wiki.apache.org/solr/LBHttpSolrServer
>
> Has prohibitions against using for updates. I'm assuming that this is
> for non-cloud mode, right? 'Cause I looked at CloudSolrServer and it
> uses LBHttpSolrServer, so I was a bit uncertain.
>
> I'm guessing a case of a little knowledge being dangerous. Should I
> update the Wiki for LBHttpSolrServer?
>
> I'm thinking something along the lines of pointing out that the _reason_
> LBHttpSolrServer is a Bad Thing for Updates when NOT in SolrCloud is
> that updates would then go to non-master nodes, but that doesn't apply
> in SolrCloud. That said, one should use CloudSolrServer rather than
> LBHttpSolrServer directly.

I would think that CloudSolrServer would always be the recommendation
when using SolrCloud.

For some reason I thought that LBHttpSolrServer and CloudSolrServer had
been added together, but apparently the LB object has been around since 1.4!

My personal opinion (as a relative SolrCloud newbie) is that the warning
about not using it for indexing should remain in place, with an addition
that says something like "If your servers are running SolrCloud, use
CloudSolrServer.  CloudSolrServer talks to zookeeper and is always aware
of the cluster state."  This would actually be a good addition to the
javadoc for all SolrServer implementations.  Is there a way to
retroactively add this to the published 4.0 javadocs without a full
4.0.1 release?

Thanks,
Shawn