Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Kwasi Gyasi - Agyei <kw...@4things.co.za> on 2011/11/11 19:53:27 UTC

Installing CouchDB on CentOS 6/32Bit

Hi All,

I'm trying to build CouchDB on Centos 6, I have installed most of the
dependencies using yum install, listed below:

$ yum install gcc libtool xulrunner-devel libicu-devel openssl-devel icu
automake autoconf automake213

Below I'm going to detail the dependencies installed, as a way to also
possible produce steps for someone who may possible come across the issue
encountered along with resolutions

Building SpiderMonkey (js-1.8.5)
Source URL : http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js/js185-1.0.0.tar.gz
------------------------------
+ Steps

$ wget http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js/js185-1.0.0.tar.gz
//instructions from
https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Developer_Guide/Build_Instructions/Linux_Prerequisites,
I left out mercurial, believe it is used for source checkout
$ yum install mercurial autoconf213 glibc-static libstdc++-static yasm
wireless-tools-devel mesa-libGL-devel alsa-lib-devel libXt-devel$ cd
js-1.8.5/src/js
$ autoconf-2.13
$ ./configure

+ Problem/Error:
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler
cannot create executables.

+ Resolution:

--

Multimedia and Communication | Property | Entertainment
Kwasi Owusu Gyasi - Agyei

*cell*        (+27) (0) 76 466 4488
*website *www.4things.co.za
*email     *kwasi.gyasiagyei@4things.co.za
*skype    *kwasi.gyasiagyei
*role*        Developer.Designer.Software Architect

Re: Installing CouchDB on CentOS 6/32Bit

Posted by Dave Cottlehuber <da...@muse.net.nz>.
On 12 November 2011 00:03, Kwasi Gyasi - Agyei
<kw...@4things.co.za> wrote:
> Missing step and lib installtion correct, not fob but fop, required for
> erlang build
>
> $ yum install unixODBC-devel.i686 java-1.6.0-*openjdk*-*devel fop*
>
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 8:53 PM, Kwasi Gyasi - Agyei <
> kwasi.gyasiagyei@4things.co.za> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I'm trying to build CouchDB on Centos 6, I have installed most of the
>> dependencies using yum install, listed below:
>>
>> $ yum install gcc libtool xulrunner-devel libicu-devel openssl-devel icu
>> automake autoconf automake213
>>
>> Below I'm going to detail the dependencies installed, as a way to also
>> possible produce steps for someone who may possible come across the issue
>> encountered along with resolutions
>>
>> Building SpiderMonkey (js-1.8.5)
>> Source URL : http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js/js185-1.0.0.tar.gz
>> ------------------------------
>> + Steps
>>
>> $ wget http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js/js185-1.0.0.tar.gz
>> //instructions from
>> https://developer.mozilla.org/En/Developer_Guide/Build_Instructions/Linux_Prerequisites,
>> I left out mercurial, believe it is used for source checkout
>> $ yum install mercurial autoconf213 glibc-static libstdc++-static yasm
>> wireless-tools-devel mesa-libGL-devel alsa-lib-devel libXt-devel$ cd
>> js-1.8.5/src/js
>> $ autoconf-2.13
>> $ ./configure
>>
>> + Problem/Error:
>> configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler
>> cannot create executables.
>>
>> + Resolution:
>>

>> --
>>
>> Multimedia and Communication | Property | Entertainment
>> Kwasi Owusu Gyasi - Agyei
>>
>> *cell*        (+27) (0) 76 466 4488
>> *website *www.4things.co.za
>> *email     *kwasi.gyasiagyei@4things.co.za
>> *skype    *kwasi.gyasiagyei
>> *role*        Developer.Designer.Software Architect
>>

> --
>
> Multimedia and Communication | Property | Entertainment
> Kwasi Owusu Gyasi - Agyei
>
> *cell*        (+27) (0) 76 466 4488
> *website *www.4things.co.za
> *email     *kwasi.gyasiagyei@4things.co.za
> *skype    *kwasi.gyasiagyei
> *role*        Developer.Designer.Software Architect

Hi Kwasi,

Thanks for putting this info back into the community! Would you be
able to add this to our wiki perhaps?

If you sign up to the wiki http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/ to get an
account, then drop an email to dev@couchdb.apache.org for contributor
access, you'll be ready to go.

A good place to add it would be a subpage of
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Installation

Re cutting down erlang build size, you can do in $ERL_TOP

echo "skipping gs" > lib/gs/SKIP
echo "skipping jinterface" > lib/jinterface/SKIP

and similar for wx and fop as well I think.

A+
Dave

Re: Installing CouchDB on CentOS 6/32Bit

Posted by Kwasi Gyasi - Agyei <kw...@4things.co.za>.

Posted by Kwasi Gyasi - Agyei <kw...@4things.co.za>.
Running Couchdb
------------------------

+ Steps
//Create couchdb system user

$ adduser --system --home-dir /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb --no-create-home
--shell /bin/bash couchdb

//Make user couchdb own couchdb folders
$ chown -R couchdb:couchdb /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb
$ chown -R couchdb:couchdb /usr/local/var/log/couchdb
$ chown -R couchdb:couchdb /usr/local/var/run
$ chown -R couchdb:couchdb /usr/local/etc/couchdb

//Change/set folder permissions

$ chmod -R 0770 /usr/local/var/lib/couchdb
$ chmod -R 0770 /usr/local/var/log/couchdb
$ chmod -R 0770 /usr/local/var/run
$ chmod -R 0770 /usr/local/etc/couchdb

//Link to startup script

$ cd /etc/init.d
$ ln -s /usr/local/etc/rc.d/couchdb couchdb
$ chkconfig --add couchdb
$ chkconfig couchdb on
$ service couchdb start

//CouchDB is no accessible from 127.0.0.1:5984/_utils/

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 11:16 PM, Kwasi Gyasi - Agyei <

Posted by Kwasi Gyasi - Agyei <kw...@4things.co.za>.
Building CouchDB 1.1.1

Posted by Kwasi Gyasi - Agyei <kw...@4things.co.za>.
Building Erlang (otp_src_R14B04)
//if you want to get rid of all the warnings and non-install items

Erlang Extras, (not sure if required for couchdb)

$ yum install fob
$ yum install wxBase wxGTK wxGTK-devel erlang-wx wxGTK-gl
$ erlang-odbc.i686

after install the libs/apps above you have to run the following again in
elrang folder
 $ ./configure
 $ make
 $ make install

On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 10:05 PM, Kwasi Gyasi - Agyei <
kwasi.gyasiagyei@4things.co.za> wrote:

> Building Erlang (otp_src_R14B04)
> Source URL : http://www.erlang.org/download/otp_src_R14B04.tar.gz<http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/js/js185-1.0.0.tar.gz>
> + Steps