Posted to dev@nifi.apache.org by Joe Witt <jo...@gmail.com> on 2014/12/17 05:05:47 UTC

Merge develop to master?

Hello

Does anyone feel that it would be a bad idea/mistake to periodically merge
develop into master as we work toward an initial release?

Our intent for 'master' is to reflect the latest release but since we as of
yet do not have a release master is not reflecting any of those changes.
The very first thing folks try to build or operate on is master.

I'm inclined to merge develop to master periodically just to help those
folks who may not realize that the 'develop' branch is where the fun is at.

Anyway...curious to hear others views.

Thanks
Joe

Re: Merge develop to master?

Posted by Adam Taft <ad...@adamtaft.com>.
What's stopping you from releasing 0.0.1 on master?  Get the code to a
reasonable safe building spot and release it as 0.0.1.

NiFi doesn't need to be "done" to have a release; you don't need to jump
directly from 0.0.1 to 1.0.0.

I think "periodically" is a mistake (if by periodically, you basically mean
randomly).  I would instead suggest at least some form of stability on the
releases, so that at minimum, most everything at least hopefully builds on
the average platform.  We should get in the habit of targeting JIRA tickets
to milestones/releases and then moving to release.

Release early - release often.  0.x.y releases are meant to be previews.

Adam

Re: Merge develop to master?

Posted by Joey Echeverria <jo...@cloudera.com>.
This is the part of the gitflow workflow that didn't make sense to me.
So many people are used to master being the main development branch
that it's weird to point people someplace else.

We do the same kind of thing in the Kite Examples project[1], and it's
always confusing to new folks trying to contribute. Maybe it'll be
less confusing once the first release is out.

One thing you can do, or maybe you need to as INFRA, is set the
develop branch as the main branch in github. I'm not sure if the ASF
git repo supports that notion or not, but I suspect a lot of folks
will use the github mirror anyway.

-Joey

[1] https://github.com/kite-sdk/kite-examples

--