Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Bob Schloss <rs...@us.ibm.com> on 2002/05/24 11:33:28 UTC

XML Schema Components Infoset Model in Java by IBM is available on Partnerworld for Developers

There has been a lot of discussion (on various mailing lists) about the
benefits of a standard API which would allow software that creates,
examines or modify XML Schemas, written in Java, to do so in a way that
represents the semantic XML schema components described in the W3C XML
Schema specifications.

In February, we shared with the W3C Schema and DOM working groups some
thoughts about what such an API should try to do.  You can see those
'requirements' described here: http://www.research.ibm.com/XML/schema/WD-
XML-Schema-Infoset-API-Req.htm .

I have been lucky to work with Ed Merks, part of the IBM Websphere Studio
Application Developer (WSAD) development group, to define such an API and
to produce a reference implementation.  Although we have not yet completed
every last function we have in mind to implement, nor have we done any
performance tuning, this API has been used successfully in building several
real XML and Web Services developer-time tools.  We have tried to make a
reasonable and straightforward Javadoc, and have been grateful to have
Shane Curcuru, who has worked on the Apache Xalan team, give us some
guidance on how to do this.  We are aiming for an API which is very
complete: not simply read-only, and able to handle any XML Schema, no
matter how complex.  We tried to use the terminology from the W3C's XML
Schema specifications in naming our classes/interfaces, methods, and
constants.

We have now made this work, including source code, UML, example usage code
and documentation, available publically for the wider community to examine
and use.  Donating a future version of this to some open source effort is
possible, although I can't make a commitment on behalf of IBM at this time.
Reaction and comments from the Apache community would strongly influence
whether we do this.

We encourage you to download our work.  You can do so through IBM's
Partnerworld for Developers web pages.

https://www.developer.ibm.com/member/register/how2join.html - shows how you
can get yourself an ID and password if you've never
 joined Partnerworld for Developers

https://www.developer.ibm.com/websphere/member/workbench_beta_download.html
- where you can find the XSD Feature, the name for the Schema Infoset Model
(aka com.ibm.etools.xsd)

Although I am posting this notice here, I recommend that all discussion
about this, at least until the end of June, take place in a single venue.
I recommend that questions and comments be posted to xmlschema-dev@w3.org .
(The archive is: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/xmlschema-dev/ .
Instructions are here: http://www.w3.org/Mail/Request  and here: http:
//www.w3.org/Mail/Lists.html ).

Note: I have posted this notice also to xerces-j-dev, xerces-j-user, and
might post it to a few other xml and web services development lists.

Bob Schloss
XML/XSL Transformational Technologies
IBM T.J. Watson Research Center

Re: XML Schema Components Infoset Model in Java by IBM is available on Partnerworld for Developers

Posted by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org>.
I have cross posted Cocoon, since there were a number of people over time
who were asking for similar API.

That is an excellent piece of work  -  I know such a tool will be useful in
WSIF. Its also relevant to the JWSDL standard. I'm cross-posting this to the
JSR110 working group to let them know.

Paul

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@hursley.ibm.com>.
Bob