Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by "Tom Holmes Jr." <th...@comcast.net> on 2003/07/08 01:27:36 UTC

still ... SMTP issues

I posted this issue before, and since I didn't get a resolution, I am going
to ask it again.

I have two machines, one is running my JAMES smtp/pop3/nntp server, and the
other one is not, but is my real workstation.   I should also mention that I
have the DNS servers setup correctly.  The accounts are setup correctly in
my database.  I am *NOT* using <RemoteAddrNotInNetwork> tags because I am
using SMTP-AUTH.  I followed all the directions for configuring SMTP-AUTH as
per the James documentation.

Now, if I am on the server machine where James is running, Outlook Express
works great!  I can both send and receive messages.  It says I am coming
from my 192.168.1.1 Linksys Router, and it works.  I can both send and
receive messages.  So, I know that James is working for POP3 and SMTP.

On the *SECOND* machine (James is not running on this workstation) I am also
using Outlook Express which is configured the exact same way as the first
machine.  I am able to receive messages via POP3, I can authenticate just
fine for that.  HOWEVER, I am not able to authenticate for SMTP through this
machine.  The logs show me that I am also coming from 192.168.1.1 but it
says I was not able to authenticate.

Why does james SMTP care about what IP address I am coming from when I am
using SMTP-AUTH and not the <RemoteAddrNotInNetwork> tag????????

BTW, before you blame Microsoft and Outlook Express.  I get the same results
from my Linux box and Ximian.  I can get POP3 messages, but I can't send a
message via SMTP.

Any help would be much appreciated.  If you need logs or config files, I can
get those for here.

Thanks.
                                      Tom

NNTP questions (was: still ... SMTP issues)

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
> I see NNTP is in experimental stage, I certainly hope I can use that NNTP
> server.

For local newsgroups it is adequate.  It lacks too many features, e.g.,
cancelling messages.

> does the spam filter in James work for NNTP as wall as for POP3/SMTP,
> that would be great!

What we need is to have the NNTPHandler respect a moderator address, so that
messages are forwarded to the moderator instead of put into the spooler.
Then we need a mailet to put messages into the NNTP spool.  That would allow
the pipeline to filter messages.

	--- Noel

Re: still ... SMTP issues

Posted by "Tom Holmes Jr." <th...@tomholmes.net>.
> Should not make any difference.  What you've done is disable the ability
to send e-mail to xyz@[ip].

Yeah, I am sure you're right.  I'll experiment some more and see if I can
put both properties in <servernames> back to true.

Thanks for all your help.   James is great and is so much easier to setup
than QMail ... that was an adventure.

I see NNTP is in experimental stage, I certainly hope I can use that NNTP
server.  I am going tostart experimenting with that next and see what I can
do with it.  I wish it had a GUI so I could look into newsgroups and remove
messages (some messages that might be spam).   Hmmm, does the spam filter in
James work for NNTP as wall as for POP3/SMTP, that would be great!

Thanks again to you and everyone else who helped me.   I hope I can give
back and help someone else with James.

            Tom

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: still ... SMTP issues

Posted by "Tom Holmes Jr." <th...@tomholmes.net>.
Steve, thanks for the information.  I had heard about this issue with
Comcast, but I didn't really think about it.

>From one of my home machines, I certainly am on the Comcast network.  I've
been successful sending mail with my SMTP server so far when I am at home.
I haven't been able to test my SMTP server from work, because I know they
block a large number of ports.   I was going to go to a friends house who
use another cable company and have broadband.  I was going tosee if I can
send and receive email while being on their network.   If I have to, I don't
mind using Comcast's SMTP info, that shouldn't be a problem.

BTW, I finally got my problem resolved and it was basically two issues:

1) in outlook express, it pulled up my authorization information like this:
username:  xyz/mailservername
password: **********
So, I basically just changed the username to "xyz" and it worked, as it
should.
I thought I had tried this before and it didn't work.

2) So, the second thing I changed was in the <servernames> tag which had
properties of
"autodetect" and "autodetectIP" both set to true.  I played around with
various combinations, and it looks like
I can leave "autodetect" to true, but I changed "autodetectIP" to false and
that seemed to work for me.

So, my SMTP issues have been resolved, and I am sending out this message
using my SMTP server on one of my other machines.

Thanks for the information on Comcast, that will be helpful, and I will try
it out.    Thanks.

                   Tom

RE: still ... SMTP issues

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.
Tom,

You have said that SMTP AUTH works if you were on the same machine, but we
are still waiting to see an extract from the log showing that SMTP AUTH was
working.  So far all that we have seen is:

  08/07/03 00:23:02 DEBUG smtpserver: Command received: AUTH LOGIN
  08/07/03 00:23:02 DEBUG smtpserver: Sent: 334 VXNlcm5hbWU6
  08/07/03 00:23:02 DEBUG smtpserver: Sent: 334 UGFzc3dvcmQ6
  08/07/03 00:23:02 ERROR smtpserver: AUTH method LOGIN failed
  08/07/03 00:23:02 DEBUG smtpserver: Sent: 535 Authentication Failed

which, as I said, could be nothing more than a bad password.  We know from
the log that James has received and decoded the user and password; verified
that neither is null; and failed to match the password against the one in
the user repository.

You could go into SMTPHandler.java, and insert a log statement at line 831
to dump the user and password, to visually inspect what is happening.

	--- Noel

Re: still ... SMTP issues

RE: still ... SMTP issues

Posted by Vincenzo Gianferrari Pini <vi...@praxis.it>.

Re: still ... SMTP issues

Posted by "Tom Holmes Jr." <th...@comcast.net>.

RE: still ... SMTP issues

Here is the results of the DEBUG SMTP log:

08/07/03 00:21:19 DEBUG smtpserver: SMTP Service init...
08/07/03 00:21:19 DEBUG smtpserver: SMTP Service ...init end
08/07/03 00:21:19 INFO  smtpserver: SMTP Service started plain:25
08/07/03 00:21:19 DEBUG smtpserver: Using an unbounded pool for SMTP
handlers.
08/07/03 00:22:58 DEBUG smtpserver: Retrieving a
org.apache.james.smtpserver.SMTPHandler from the pool
08/07/03 00:22:58 DEBUG smtpserver: Getting SMTPHandler from pool.
08/07/03 00:23:02 INFO  smtpserver: Connection from 192.168.1.1
(192.168.1.1)
08/07/03 00:23:02 DEBUG smtpserver: Sent: 220 tjh6 SMTP Server (JAMES SMTP
Server 2.1.3) ready Tue, 8 Jul 2003 00:23:02 -0400 (EDT)
08/07/03 00:23:02 DEBUG smtpserver: Calling start()
08/07/03 00:23:02 DEBUG smtpserver: Watchdog default Worker #18 has time to

Re: still ... SMTP issues

RE: still ... SMTP issues

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.

Re: still ... SMTP issues

Posted by "Tom Holmes Jr." <th...@comcast.net>.
I've been looking for how to turn on the DEBUG option and I can't find it.
How do I do this exactly?

RE: still ... SMTP issues

Posted by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com>.