Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Jani Monoses <ja...@iv.ro> on 2002/11/07 11:31:36 UTC

svn log -r

Hi
it would be nice to have CVS like behaviour when not specifying a revision
it would just show the last log entry for the file.
I can try making this work but looking in those parts of the sources it seems
it's a currently changing code, it says something about uniform handling of
-r across different commands not being done yet or being done but no longer being
needed I don't recall :)

the same would be nice for diff -r (CVS does not have this AFAIK) just show the last change.
I know I can svn status and see what the latest is but one command would be better

Jani.

I just downloaded svn today and I am already whining :)

Re: svn log -r

Posted by Nuutti Kotivuori <na...@iki.fi>.
Jani Monoses wrote:
> I meant with -r without a revno, not without -r at all.

The -r option has a mandatory argument - and I think it is good that
the argument is mandatory. If it is optional, there is room for
ambiguous interpretation and mistakes.

Also, I'm not sure if the commandline parser would handle.

>> To get the last change :
>> 	svn diff target -rPREV:HEAD
>
> so it's great these work.Looks like what's missing is just syntactic
> sugaring and CVS resemblance.

CVS resemblance is mostly a good thing... but I would say that it is
better to have things said explicitly than assumed from arguments. It
is a bit more learning, but doesn't cause mistakes so easily and makes
the intent clean.

-- Naked

Re: svn log -r

Posted by Jani Monoses <ja...@iv.ro>.
Thanks for clarifying

Re: svn log -r

Posted by Rafael Garcia-Suarez <ra...@hexaflux.com>.
Jani Monoses <ja...@iv.ro> wrote:
> Hi
> it would be nice to have CVS like behaviour when not specifying a revision
> it would just show the last log entry for the file.
> I can try making this work but looking in those parts of the sources it seems
> it's a currently changing code, it says something about uniform handling of
> -r across different commands not being done yet or being done but no longer being
> needed I don't recall :)

You can have this already by
	svn log target -rCOMMITTED

> the same would be nice for diff -r (CVS does not have this AFAIK) just show the last change.

No !! svn diff without -r has already a meaning, and a very very useful one.
I use it all the time. See "svn help diff".

To get the last change :
	svn diff target -rPREV:HEAD

(look up the special revision keywords in the book for more info.)