Posted to dev@openjpa.apache.org by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com> on 2020/07/17 13:54:05 UTC

Adding GitHub Actions for PR validation

Hey,
what about adding a simple validation of Pull Requests using GitHub actions
?
I can create a very simple configuration file if you like this idea.

It will help a lot in contributing patches, this way it is sure for the
committer that the patch is not breaking unit tests (not integration tests,
of course) and it can help the contributor as it given an immediate
feedback of the goodness of the patch

Enrico

Re: Adding GitHub Actions for PR validation

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
works for me

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
Jenkins builds are used AFAIK (but likely most of them by people doing
$upport on older versions ;)) Personally I only use master but if you want
to start a cleanup thread +1.

It also seems unlikely we get PR support on jenkins from my understanding -
if wrong it would be awesome - this is why I think we should enable PR
somehow now.

Now just a small note on travis vs gh actions and why I don't defend
travis*.org* much: gh actions - gh link is highly unlikely to break with gh
actions (compared to the link with travis which can and do) and travis.org
is no more maintained since years (can break any day and the best the
support will do is to ask you to move to travis.com, often for free for OSS
but still), so it is likely a best bet *today* to support gh actions than
it was last time to support travis IMHO (yes suffered a bit from
travis*.org* last years).

Hope it makes sense.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.