Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Ravi Solr <ra...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/09 19:24:02 UTC

Solr 3.1 Upgrade - Reindex necessary ?

Hello All,
             I am planning to upgrade from Solr 1.4.1 to Solr 3.1. I
saw some deprecation warnings in the log as shown below

[#|2011-05-09T12:37:18.762-0400|WARNING|sun-appserver9.1|org.apache.solr.analysis.BaseTokenStreamFactory|_ThreadID=53;_ThreadName=httpSSLWorkerThread-9001-13
;_RequestID=de32fd3f-e968-4228-a071-9bb175bfb549;|StopFilterFactory is
using deprecated LUCENE_24 emulation. You should at some point declare
and reindex to
at least 3.0, because 2.x emulation is deprecated and will be removed in 4.0|#]

[#|2011-05-09T12:37:18.765-0400|WARNING|sun-appserver9.1|org.apache.solr.analysis.BaseTokenStreamFactory|_ThreadID=53;_ThreadName=httpSSLWorkerThread-9001-13
;_RequestID=de32fd3f-e968-4228-a071-9bb175bfb549;|WordDelimiterFilterFactory
is using deprecated LUCENE_24 emulation. You should at some point
declare and re
index to at least 3.0, because 2.x emulation is deprecated and will be
removed in 4.0|#]

[#|2011-05-09T12:37:18.767-0400|WARNING|sun-appserver9.1|org.apache.solr.analysis.BaseTokenStreamFactory|_ThreadID=53;_ThreadName=httpSSLWorkerThread-9001-13
;_RequestID=de32fd3f-e968-4228-a071-9bb175bfb549;|EnglishPorterFilterFactory
is using deprecated LUCENE_24 emulation. You should at some point
declare and re
index to at least 3.0, because 2.x emulation is deprecated and will be
removed in 4.0|#]

so I would love the experts advise on the following questions

1. Do we have to reindex all content again to use Solr 3.1 ?
2. If we don't reindex all content are there any potential issues ? (I
read somewhere that first commit would change the 1.4.1 format to 3.1.
have the analyzer's behavior changed which warrants reindexing ?)
3. Apart from deploying the new solr 3.1 war; Is it just enough to set
"<luceneMatchVersion>LUCENE_31</luceneMatchVersion>"  to get all the
goodies and bug fixes of the LUCENE/SOLR 3.1 ?

Thank You,

Ravi Kiran Bhaskar

Re: Solr 3.1 Upgrade - Reindex necessary ?

Posted by Ravi Solr <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hoss,
         Thank you very much for clearly delineating the difference.
Just to be clear - My intent to move to 3.1 was driven by my desire to
improve my replication performance - Deducing from your explanation, I
believe the replication/indexing related changes/bug fixes like the
following will be available to me even without specifying
"<luceneMatchVersion>LUCENE_31</luceneMatchVersion>" am I right ??

faster exact PhraseQuery; merging favors segments with deletions;
primary key lookup is faster; IndexWriter.addIndexes(Directory[]) uses
file copy instead of merging; various Directory performance
improvements; compound file is dynamically turned off for large
segments; fully deleted segments are dropped on commit; faster
snowball analyzers (in contrib); ConcurrentMergeScheduler is more
careful about setting priority of merge threads.

Ravi Kiran Bhaskar

Posted by Ravi Solr <ra...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Grijesh for responding. I meant that I will use the Lucene 3.1
jars for indexing also from now on. My current index already has a
million docs indexed with solr 1.4.1 version, I read somewhere that
once server is upgraded to 3.1, it is said that the first commit will
change the indexes to 3.1 format automatically. Is this true or do I
have to literally reindex the million docs again ?

Thanks,
Ravi Kiran Bhaskar

Posted by Grijesh <pi...@gmail.com>.