Posted to user@spark.apache.org by laxmanvemula <la...@gmail.com> on 2014/09/03 16:28:07 UTC

Message Passing among workers

Hi,

I would like to implement an asynchronous distributed optimization algorithm
where workers communicate among one another. It is similar to belief
propagation where each worker is a vertex in the graph. Can some one let me
know if this is possible using spark?

Thanks,
Laxman

Re: Message Passing among workers

Posted by "Evan R. Sparks" <ev...@gmail.com>.
Asynchrony is not supported directly - spark's programming model is
naturally BSP. I have seen cases where people have instantiated actors with
akka on worker nodes to enable message passing, or even used spark's own
ActorSystem to do this. But, I do not recommend this, since you lose a
bunch of benefits of spark - e.g. fault tolerance.

Instead, I would think about whether your algorithm can be cast as a BSP
one, or think about how frequently you really need to synchronize state
among your workers. It may be that having the occasional synchronization
barrier is OK.