Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Jay Glanville <di...@nortelnetworks.com> on 2001/04/04 13:21:58 UTC

[SUBMIT] resubmit of with small changes

As per user feedback (thanks KC Baltz) I have made a few small changes and
would like to re-submit in it's entirety my original submission of the
<recorder> task.

Attached, you should find 5 files:
- Recorder.java: new file goes in org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs
- RecorderEntry.java: new file goes in org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs
- recorder.html: new file goes in docs/manual/CoreTasks
- coretasklist.html.diff: this is a diff -u of docs/manual/coretasklist.html
(puts recorder.html in the TOC)
- defaults.properties.diff: this is a diff -u of
src/main/org/apache/tools/ant/taskdefs/defaults.properties (defines the
existence of <recorder>)

Thanks

Jay

PS: I'm also going to iterate a previous question:  is there a way for ant
to tell me all the diffs?  I.e. "build diff" results in a diff -u of all
modified files (using their CVS latest versions as a comparison) and a
listing of all new files.  This way, I wouldn't have to go through and do it
manually for each and every file, plus having to state where the file is
(like I had to do in this e-mail).  If such a task existed or was possible,
then I'm sure that a "build patch" task for the committers would also be
possible.  Just dreaming.

 <<coretasklist.html.diff>>  <<defaults.properties.diff>>
<<RecorderEntry.java>>  <<Recorder.java>>  <<recorder.html>>

--
Jay Dickon Glanville
P068 - SiteManager Development, Nortel Networks

Re: [SUBMIT] resubmit of with small changes

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
I changed the examples in the docs to use name instead of file.

Stefan

Re: [SUBMIT] resubmit of with small changes

Posted by Conor MacNeill <co...@cortexebusiness.com.au>.
Sorry to come to the party late on the <recorder> task. I like it but my
only minor nit would be to call it <record>. In general I see tasks as
verbs and datatypes as nouns. Not a big deal, of course :-)

Conor

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org> wrote:

> cvs 1.10.7 for Linux that is - I now realize, there is a 1.11, I'll
> retry.

No difference.

Stefan

Re: -N option to CVS (was Re: [SUBMIT] resubmit of with small changes)

Posted by David Rees <d....@usa.net>.
On Sat, 7 Apr 2001 13:19:46 -0700, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:

>Hi guys and gals,
>
>I finally remember what is the trick to make "cvs -N -u" work as I said.
>
>CVS will only look at files in the repository, so technically you would need
>to do a "cvs add file" for "cvs diff" to work correctly. So since most of us
>do not have commit permission you need to trick CVS by editing the
>corresponding CVS/Entries file and add an entry for each one of your new
>files. Run cvs-diff and then put everyting back.
>
>That's it, the entry format is preaty simple, but I do not remember the
>details. If someone can do a cvs add on some CVS repository and look at the
>resulting entry, that is all is needed.

Yeah, the change is pretty easy. But its easy to mess up as well. Sure
would be nice to have this automated. My current solution is to cut
and paste all the ? file lines to a text file. I then use Ant to build
a zip based on that file. I send the diff as a second file.

I keep thinking about adding something to WinCvs to build this file
list for me, but Perl is not my bag baby...

We sure need something better than this (IMHO)

should fileset fail if directory does not exist

Posted by Dennis Gregorovic <de...@arsdigita.com>.
Hi.

With the <fileset> task, I am surprised that it throws
an error if the base directory does not exist.  My
expectation would be to get back an empty list.  Or
at least I would like <fileset> to take an attribute
like 'failifnotexists' to specify the behavior.

What do people think?

-- Dennis

RE: -N option to CVS (was Re: [SUBMIT] resubmit of with small changes)

Posted by Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_...@yahoo.com>.
Hi guys and gals,

Posted by Simeon Fitch <me...@yahoo.com>.

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/

Re: [SUBMIT] resubmit of with small changes

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_...@yahoo.com>.
cvs diff -N -u

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
Jay Glanville <di...@nortelnetworks.com> wrote:

> As per user feedback (thanks KC Baltz) I have made a few small
> changes and would like to re-submit in it's entirety my original
> submission of the <recorder> task.

I'm going to commit it.

> PS: I'm also going to iterate a previous question: is there a way
> for ant to tell me all the diffs?

cvs diff -u

in the directory you've checked the sources to should work. It will
result in one big diff file for all files that have changed and
contain lines that start with ? for all new files.

> If such a task existed or was possible,

<cvs> could do it, as long as there are no new files (one could play
with the Entries files to even get the new files included as well, but
I'd be careful).

> then I'm sure that a "build patch" task for the committers would
> also be possible.

<patch> should do it.

Stefan