Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "snyland@workfire.com" <sn...@workfire.com> on 1998/06/19 01:58:43 UTC

1.3.0 Win32 builds

Paul at C2 suggested I bring this to new-httpd.  A minor nitpick
regarding InstallShield standard welcome screen & copyright message.

On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, paul@c2.net wrote:
>On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, snyland@workfire.com wrote:
>> httpd/dist/apache_1_3_0b.exe     works on Win 95.  I believe that
most
>> of my observations have already been noted.  I will test on NT if I
have
>> time before the release.
>> 3) Given the open nature of Apache, it seems strange to keep the
>> standard warning string about copyright law and unauthorized
>> reproduction ... on the screen right before the license page.  I
think
>> it would be good to say something different on the first page that
>> implies a more open philosophy than the standard keep out message.
This
>> may actually encourage users to read the Apache license (gasp). It's
>> great license.  I think this is an OK place to show your
differentiation
>> from most existing Windows software.

> Again this is a standard part of the InstallShield process, which I
> haven't looked at in detail. Maybe it should be changed. Um, this is
> something that ought to be discussed on new-httpd.

ok.  The standard Welcome dialog box provided by Install Shield says,

    "WARNING: This program is protected by copyright law and
    international treaties."

    "Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this program, or any
    portion of it, may result in severe civil and criminal penalties,
and
    will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under law."

As long as you're using the Professional Edition of InstallShield, you
should be able to customize the dialog box to say something more in line
with your open software philosophy.  If you like it  the way it is,
that's just fine.  The Apache license is shown in full on the next
screen.

Re: 1.3.0 Win32 builds

Posted by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>.
On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, snyland@workfire.com wrote:

> Paul at C2 suggested I bring this to new-httpd.  A minor nitpick
> regarding InstallShield standard welcome screen & copyright message.
>
> On Wed, 17 Jun 1998, paul@c2.net wrote:
> >On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, snyland@workfire.com wrote:
> >> httpd/dist/apache_1_3_0b.exe     works on Win 95.  I believe that
> most
> >> of my observations have already been noted.  I will test on NT if I
> have
> >> time before the release.
> >> 3) Given the open nature of Apache, it seems strange to keep the
> >> standard warning string about copyright law and unauthorized
> >> reproduction ... on the screen right before the license page.  I
> think
> >> it would be good to say something different on the first page that
> >> implies a more open philosophy than the standard keep out message.

Yea, this should probably be changed but technically it is correct as
worded.  It is protected by copyright law, and unauthorized reproduction
and use is not allowed.

It isn't friendly though.