Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Erik Stainsby <er...@vpl.ca> on 2003/08/13 00:22:38 UTC

Re: [users@httpd] Documentation incomplete: Satisfy directive

On August 12, 2003 03:10 pm, Joshua Slive wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Erik Stainsby wrote:
> > I have found that the documentation of the Satisfy directive is not
> > complete.  There ought to be a "Deny from all" line in the example.
> > For newbies.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean.  Can you be more specific?  Why would you
> want to use Deny from all with satisfy?

How about this:
	with these lines in .htaccess:

	Require valid-user
	Allow from aaa.bbb.ccc
	Satisfy any

access is granted from hosts not in aaa.bbb.ccc
With the additional line:

	Require valid-user
	Allow from aaa.bbb.ccc
	Deny from all
	Satify any

the access control is restricted to login auth or the subnet specified,
which is the expected result in the first case.

- Erik

> [This message would be more appropriate on the docs@httpd.apache.org
> list; but since some documenters hang out here, it is probably ok.]

It is not terribly easy to find *that* piece of information coming to the
Apache site.  Perhaps a Contacts page would be in order ... Hmm?

> Joshua.

Cheers,
Erik

--
Erik Stainsby
Systems Support Technician,

Re: [users@httpd] Documentation incomplete: Satisfy directive - oops

Posted by Erik Stainsby <er...@vpl.ca>.
On August 12, 2003 03:44 pm, Erik Stainsby wrote:
> Actually, there is nothing in the great long list of links on the left
> margin which supports helpfully-minded non-core persons.  Mailing lists
> seems a likely candidate, but does not deliver.  Developer Info
> immediately puts off the casual user, and turns out not to provide the
> answer.  In fact, I have not found a link anywhere which *does* link to
> the page you suggested.

Ooops --
I was poking about in the root of apache.org  not  httpd.apahce.org.

That said, "Docs" doesn't quite have the clarity of, say, "Contacting the
right people"  or some such.

--
Cheers,
Erik

Posted by Erik Stainsby <er...@vpl.ca>.

Posted by Erik Stainsby <er...@vpl.ca>.
On August 12, 2003 03:27 pm, Joshua Slive wrote:
> > the access control is restricted to login auth or the subnet
> > specified, which is the expected result in the first case.
>
> Hmmm... But that's not necessarily true, depending on the Order
> directive. In addition, I can't understand what such a configuration
> would be useful for.  If you want to deny access to unauthenticated
> users, you would just set "Satisfy all" -- which is the default.

Access is to be allowed to certaiin scripts based on a subnet membership
( no login popup ) or by login when not in that that subnet.

Therefore, Satisfy any, but require either one or the other, and deny all
others.

> > It is not terribly easy to find *that* piece of information coming to
> > the Apache site.  Perhaps a Contacts page would be in order ... Hmm?
>
> This page:
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-project/
> which is linked from pretty much everywhere, tells you how to
> participate. But we all miss links sometimes.  That's not a problem.

Actually, there is nothing in the great long list of links on the left
margin which supports helpfully-minded non-core persons.  Mailing lists
seems a likely candidate, but does not deliver.  Developer Info
immediately puts off the casual user, and turns out not to provide the
answer.  In fact, I have not found a link anywhere which *does* link to
the page you suggested.

A simple path from the top would be very useful.

--
Cheers,
Erik

Posted by Erik Stainsby <er...@vpl.ca>.

--
Cheers,
Erik

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Erik Stainsby wrote:
> On August 12, 2003 03:10 pm, Joshua Slive wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Aug 2003, Erik Stainsby wrote:
> > > I have found that the documentation of the Satisfy directive is not
> > > complete.  There ought to be a "Deny from all" line in the example.
> > > For newbies.
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean.  Can you be more specific?  Why would you
> > want to use Deny from all with satisfy?

> access is granted from hosts not in aaa.bbb.ccc
> With the additional line:
>
> 	Require valid-user
> 	Allow from aaa.bbb.ccc
> 	Deny from all
> 	Satify any
>
> the access control is restricted to login auth or the subnet specified,
> which is the expected result in the first case.

Hmmm... But that's not necessarily true, depending on the Order directive.
In addition, I can't understand what such a configuration would be useful
for.  If you want to deny access to unauthenticated users, you would just
set "Satisfy all" -- which is the default.

I agree that the Satisfy directive could be confusing for a novice, but I
still don't understand the exact problem you are trying to address.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.