Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Jérôme Redouté <re...@cermep.fr> on 2018/03/27 15:27:37 UTC

HOME user folder change & tomcat HOME

Hello,

I've installed tomcat8 on Debian 9, to run a web App (XNAT)

I've a proble concerning the HOME directory of my user "xnat".

Before the HOME was, as expected, in /home/xnat

but now (after deploying XNAT app), it moved to /var/lib/tomcat8

and I can't reverse back the the original HOME.

I suspect it is related to misconfiguration of tomcat, but I can't find
wher.

Can you help me?

few infos concerning my tomcat install:

> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/share/tomcat8
> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/share/tomcat8
> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat8/temp
> Using JRE_HOME:        /usr
> Using CLASSPATH:
> /usr/share/tomcat8/bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/share/tomcat8/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
> Server version: Apache Tomcat/8.5.14 (Debian)
> Server built:   Sep 3 2017 17:51:58 UTC
> Server number:  8.5.14.0
> OS Name:        Linux
> OS Version:     4.9.0-6-amd64
> Architecture:   amd64
> JVM Version:    1.8.0_162-8u162-b12-1~deb9u1-b12
> JVM Vendor:     Oracle Corporation

Thanks

Re: HOME user folder change & tomcat HOME

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Jérôme,

On 3/29/18 4:30 AM, Jérôme Redouté wrote:

> Do you mean the HOME environment variable? Or something else?
>
> Most "services" do not have a "HOME" in the usual sense.
>
> Why do you need HOME to be something specific?
>
>> yes, I mean the HOME variable for this user.
>
>> user xnat is effectively the user that will run tomcat8 service.
>> I don't need HOME to be specific, I need it to be at its original
>> and classical location "/home/xnat" and not in a tomcat related
>> directory...

Why not? Anything you need to do should probably be specified in a
configuration file that can be loaded without using $HOME. Your
application seems fragile.

>> My question is: who changed this HOME variable and how to reverse
>> it back Thank you

Tomcat itself does not change any environment variables other than:

PRGDIR        (for internal use)
CLASSPATH     (removes existing value before calling setenv.sh)
CATALINA_HOME (only if unset)
CATALINA_BASE (only if unset)
QIBM_MULTI_THREADED (on OS/400)
JDK_JAVA_OPTIONS (appends)

Any other changes to environment variables are being done by some
other component outside of Tomcat. Note that this could include
something your package-manager (Debian) has done.

- -chris

Re: HOME user folder change & tomcat HOME

Posted by Jérôme Redouté <re...@cermep.fr>.
Le 28/03/2018 à 21:21, Christopher Schultz a écrit :

Jérôme Redouté
Ph.D. - Ingénieur de Recherche - Université Claude Bernard - Lyon1
Responsable imageur TEP-TDM
CERMEP - Imagerie du vivant
59 Bd Pinel. 69677 Bron - FRANCE
tel : 33 (0)4 72 68 86 18 (bureau)
tel : 33 (0)4 72 68 86 00 (standard)
fax : 33 (0)4 72 68 86 10

Re: HOME user folder change & tomcat HOME

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: HOME user folder change & tomcat HOME

Posted by Jérôme Redouté <re...@cermep.fr>.
Le 28/03/2018 à 02:13, George S. a écrit :
> Did you edit /etc/passwd and change the home directory for your user
> xnat?

nothing intentionnaly. I've tried to change home directory with usermod,
but it always change back to /usr/lib/tomcat8

Posted by "George S." <ge...@mhsoftware.com>.
Did you edit /etc/passwd and change the home directory for your user xnat?

On 3/27/2018 9:27 AM, Jérôme Redouté wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've installed tomcat8 on Debian 9, to run a web App (XNAT)
>
> I've a proble concerning the HOME directory of my user "xnat".
>
> Before the HOME was, as expected, in /home/xnat
>
> but now (after deploying XNAT app), it moved to /var/lib/tomcat8
>
> and I can't reverse back the the original HOME.
>
> I suspect it is related to misconfiguration of tomcat, but I can't
> find wher.
>
> Can you help me?
>
> few infos concerning my tomcat install:
>
>> Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/share/tomcat8
>> Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/share/tomcat8
>> Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/share/tomcat8/temp
>> Using JRE_HOME:        /usr
>> Using CLASSPATH:
>> /usr/share/tomcat8/bin/bootstrap.jar:/usr/share/tomcat8/bin/tomcat-juli.jar
>> Server version: Apache Tomcat/8.5.14 (Debian)
>> Server built:   Sep 3 2017 17:51:58 UTC
>> Server number:  8.5.14.0
>> OS Name:        Linux
>> OS Version:     4.9.0-6-amd64
>> Architecture:   amd64
>> JVM Version:    1.8.0_162-8u162-b12-1~deb9u1-b12
>> JVM Vendor:     Oracle Corporation
>

> Thanks

George S.
*MH Software, Inc.*
Voice: 303 438 9585
http://www.mhsoftware.com

Re: HOME user folder change & tomcat HOME

Posted by Jérôme Redouté <re...@cermep.fr>.
Le 27/03/2018 à 18:15, Coty Sutherland a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> This sounds like a problem specific to the distribution's tomcat
> package, which is usually better served by the distribution's
> community rather than Tomcat's (they repackage what we provide). You
> may want to ask on their users list/support forum/etc, but I will try
> and help though :)
>
> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 11:27 AM, Jérôme Redouté <re...@cermep.fr> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've installed tomcat8 on Debian 9, to run a web App (XNAT)
>>
>> I've a proble concerning the HOME directory of my user "xnat".
>>
>> Before the HOME was, as expected, in /home/xnat
> Before what? Before you installed the Debain tomcat package? Or did
> you install the xnat package? Something else?
I suppose before installation of XNAT war file. But I can't really say,
as I did not noticed the change immediately

>> but now (after deploying XNAT app), it moved to /var/lib/tomcat8
> When you say deploy, do you mean install xnat's package? Or copy a war
> into place? I ask because /var/lib/tomcat8 isn't CATALINA_BASE or
> CATALINA_HOME (which were my first thoughts), so it seems to have some
> configuration elsewhere.
I mean copy war file into place (called ROOT.war) and restarted tomcat8

Posted by Coty Sutherland <cs...@apache.org>.
Hi,