Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by "Boudreau, Carl" <ca...@optum.com> on 2016/12/02 21:34:33 UTC

How do I limit queries made to my Hadoop Cluster

Dear Hadoop Expert,

This is my first post to this group, and I am new to Hadoop, so if this is not the correct list please excuse me.  If you have a better group please let me know by replying directly to me.

I have a challenge before me.  In my Hadoop system I have data from three companies called ABC, XYZ, and 123.  And because of my Business Need; all the records from these three companies are in the same data store.  The records are randomly mixed so one record could be a record from ABC and the next could be from XYX or 123. When I query my Hadoop system, for all records that have the last name of Boudreau for data analytical work; I get all 3000 records that have the last name Boudreau.

However, I also have a contract with ABC, that says I cannot aggregate their records.  So I need a way to apply these contract rules when the data is queried.  Please note: I have given 20 other developers access to my Hadoop system, but I am responsible to mirage the contractual obligations for my customers

What is the best way about going about this?

Can or do I write a Plug-in or modify YARN to have it check my contract rules prior to returning a dataset?  Can or do I write a plug in for each and every Gateway Application such as Pig, Elastic Search, MapR, etc (about 10 applications that have access to my Hadoop system)

What are other options?

I have installed, configured and running Hadoop onto my local machine.  I have the source code also downloaded onto my machine, and I am able to dig into it and compile it.

Regards Carl

Re: How do I limit queries made to my Hadoop Cluster

Posted by Ravi Prakash <ra...@gmail.com>.
Hi Carl!

looked at Apache Sentry / Ranger / Atlas?

HTH
Ravi