Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by David Wynter <da...@btclick.com> on 2001/11/13 09:19:01 UTC

Dynamically adding to a schema using Turbine

Dear All,

I have a Turbine application that has a schema that described all the
metadata for schemas. So a user can describe a database they have and we
have existing data files that we map values from into the database they have
described using the screens in the application. Ideally what I would like to
do is:
1. allow the user to fill in the data about their database and table
structures and click a button.
2. which kicks off the application to run a service which takes the metadata
and generates a schema in XML
3. then run ant init for that schema (call org.apache.tools.ant.Main() would
seem to work) to generate the database (optional, it may exist) and generate
the OR Peer classes.
4. start using the OR Peer classes (This is tricky I think as the
ClassLoader won't be able to see these classes, noy sure if I can sub class
ClassLoader to be able dynamically load the new package) with the Database
connection and driver details also entered in step 1 above.

The main point is that if I can achieve this without having to restart the
application it would prevent any ScheduledJobs it has running (it runs a
lot) being terminated. The main problems I can see is how to name a package
that keeps different databases distinct and yet be able to address these
classes from the existing code. My first thought is to use the Bridge
pattern to isolate any concrete OR Peer classes from the abstraction I hold
in the metadata. Ideas on approach or solutions for this?

Thanks
David