Posted to rivet-dev@tcl.apache.org by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it> on 2010/11/09 06:52:38 UTC

OT: gdata

does anyone knows if someone is up to developing a Tcl binding for the Google
Data protocol using gnome's libgdata?

-- Massimo

Re: OT: gdata

Posted by Massimo Manghi <ma...@unipr.it>.
On 11/09/2010 09:54 PM, Jeff Lawson wrote:
> Using the PHP or Python implementations as a basis would probably be
> the easiest because they are most similar to Tcl.
>
> The PHP (Zend) implementation is BSD-licensed, and is described here:
> http://framework.zend.com/apidoc/core/li_Zend_Gdata.html
>
> The Python implementation is Apache-licensed and is here:
> http://code.google.com/p/gdata-python-client/
> http://code.google.com/p/gdata-python-client/source/browse/
>

> Looking briefly at the two implementations, I would probably pick the
> Python one because it seems to be more stable and active, and is
> maintained by actual Google employees.
>
> The core modules that you would probably want to re-implement first
> are these (and their immediate dependencies):
>
> atom.data --
> http://code.google.com/p/gdata-python-client/source/browse/src/atom/data.py
> atom.http_core --
> http://code.google.com/p/gdata-python-client/source/browse/src/atom/http_core.py
> gdata.client --
> http://code.google.com/p/gdata-python-client/source/browse/src/gdata/client.py
> gdata.gauth --
> http://code.google.com/p/gdata-python-client/source/browse/src/gdata/gauth.py

looking into the code I see python has an 'atom' package to handle the
protocol. I began to read the protocol RFC to see if an abstraction
layer is mandatory to make things feasible with Atom and what is the
degree of complexity of the protocol. Perhaps working on the XML and
building an helper class as development progresses can be a workable
approach.

  -- Massimo

Re: OT: gdata

Posted by Jeff Lawson <je...@bovine.net>.