Posted to dev@ace.apache.org by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net> on 2011/01/14 16:21:23 UTC

ACE roadmap

Hi all,

I would like to make a kind of checkpoint and propose an ACE roadmap:

Where we are:
1/ We already have a maven build operational for ACE. I would like to
make some minor enhancements on that topic. The "new" website is more clear.
2/ I'm working on kind of "tutorial", beginning with ACE from scratch.

Roadmap:
3/ Regarding point 2/, the current "getting start" wiki pages are
interesting but I think that a kind of "user guide" is interesting.
We can use the wiki for that, or, as we have in Karaf or ServiceMix, a
manual subproject. What do you prefer ?
I will raise a Jira about that and work on it.
4/ A demo project could be interesting too, it can be included in the
ACE distribution.

Once we have more doc and demo materials, and performing some tests
during the doc/demo writing, I propose to prepare a first release.

In the mean time, regarding my previous e-mail, I propose to begin to
work on JEE (Kalumet) stuff in ACE.
My purpose is to include first Kalumet parts in the second ACE release.

WDYT ?

If you are OK, I will try to work on these points this week end.

Thanks
Regards
JB

Re: ACE roadmap

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Thanks Hadrian,

The purpose of wiki page is to give a quick and "simple" overview of
ACE. Currently ACE is not easy to people not really involved in the OSGi
deployment constraints, etc.

For the release manager role, I can do it if all is OK. I will begin be
writing the Release Guide on the wiki as I made for ServiceMix and Karaf.

Regards
JB

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
---------------------------------
  HomePage
http://www.nanthrax.net
---------------------------------
  Contacts
jbonofre@apache.org
jb@nanthrax.net
---------------------------------
  OpenSource
BuildProcess/AutoDeploy
http://buildprocess.sourceforge.net
Apache ServiceMix
http://servicemix.apache.org
-----------------------------------
PGP : 17D4F086

Re: ACE roadmap

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.

Re: ACE roadmap

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Marcel

Thanks for your feedback :)

On 01/14/2011 07:54 PM, Marcel Offermans wrote:
> Hello JB,
>
> On 14 Jan 2011, at 16:21 , Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>
>> I would like to make a kind of checkpoint and propose an ACE roadmap:
>>
>> Where we are:
>> 1/ We already have a maven build operational for ACE. I would like to make some minor enhancements on that topic. The "new" website is more clear.
>
> Feel free to contribute. Although the build is fully operational, we still have a collection of integration tests that need to be migrated. We can take those one at a time as the code needs to be changed to use Pax Exam instead of the custom Ant based testing framework that was used.

It's my plan :)

>> 2/ I'm working on kind of "tutorial", beginning with ACE from scratch.
>
> Great!
>
>> Roadmap:
>> 3/ Regarding point 2/, the current "getting start" wiki pages are interesting but I think that a kind of "user guide" is interesting.
>
>> We can use the wiki for that, or, as we have in Karaf or ServiceMix, a manual subproject. What do you prefer ?
>
> For now I definitely prefer the wiki. I am however aware that Apache is slowly phasing out Confluence for web site generation. We can still discuss if a user guide is something we need on the web site (I think so) but probably at some point this year we will have to start looking at the new Apache CMS for our whole site.

OK for the wiki :)

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré

Re: ACE roadmap