Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca> on 2000/12/05 04:20:35 UTC

STATUS

Rich asked for a task....  I should probably post this on a regular
basis.  This lists what I know of that needs to be done,
but I'm sure there is lots more I haven't thought of.

There is also the XHTML issue.  If anyone wants to go ahead with
that, I would say you can go for it.  We still need to discuss
the exact format/implementation of the SSI stuff.

----

Apache HTTP Server 2.0 Documentation Status File.

If you are interested in helping accomplish some of the tasks on this
list or otherwise improving the documentation, please join the
apache-docs mailing list by mailing to
apache-docs-subscribe@apache.org

- MPM documentation
   - Each MPM needs to have a documentation file in manual/mod/
     which lists the directives it provides, and some details
     about its operation.
          filled in.
          - Non unix/windows MPMs still need to be completed.
          - perchild MPM needs some docs.

- Merging of changes in 1.3.
   - There have been many changes in the 1.3 docs which haven't
     been propagated into 2.0.
     Things which need to be merged:
         manual/howto/*

- Cleaning.
   - We could use a list of all the docs that can be axed out of 2.0
     because they are redundant or irrelevant.
	Some suggestions on files to axe.  Feel free to comment.
          manual/cgi-path.html (should be documented in mod_cgi.html instead)
          manual/process-model.html (documented in MPMs, eventually)
          platform/perf-* (are these relevant anymore?)

   - Individual docs will need some cleanup.
                 - invoking.html has had a first-pass cleaning done.
                 - misc/perf-tuning.html - needs major rewrite for 2.0
                 - misc/FAQ.html - some old questions could be remove
                                 - is a new format in order?
                 - misc/tutorials.html - mostly not relevant to 2.0
                 - misc/stopping.html
                 - dso.html
                 - misc/rewriteguide.html - needs cleaning in 1.3 and 2.0
                 - misc/known_client_problems.html - mostly ancient

- New build process.
   - The new build process is autoconf based, so manual/install.html
     will need to be completely rewritten.  Someone with enough
     patience could probably figure out most of the important stuff
     by trial and error.
                a starting place.  Rich <rb...@rcbown.com> is interested
                in collaborating with someone else on this.

- Documentation of new features.
   - This will probably require more input from new-httpd, since
     not many people here follow the development process close
     enough to know what is going on.
                for this.
	        New features which need documentation:
                    - filters !!!

- Translations

- The STATUS Document.
   - Is this the best organization/format?  What else needs to be
     added?  Should this be auto-posted to apache-docs?

Re: STATUS

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
Joshua Slive wrote:

> - Merging of changes in 1.3.
>    - There have been many changes in the 1.3 docs which haven't
>      been propagated into 2.0.
>      Things which need to be merged:
>          manual/howto/*

I added the howtos to the 2.0 tree, but don't (at the moment) have
sufficient Karma to commit them. There's some changes going on to the
repository right now, and so I'll wait until things settle down.

I'm also working on an Authentication tutorial. It's a 4-part article
that I wrote for ApacheToday which is currently linked from
misc/tutorials.html  It might take some time to merge it into one
article and make it formatted correctly.

Rich
--
Rich Bowen
Author: Apache Server Unleashed - www.apacheunleashed.com
Director of Web Application Development - http://www.cre8tivegroup.com/

RE: STATUS

Posted by "Albert J.Papadosifakis" <st...@designart.gr>.
Joshua, thanks for the warm-welcome :)
I shall take my notebook on the sunny beaches of Greece and start the
translation... ;)

So,where can i find some other native-speaking users that share the same
idea like me?
Do you know of any meeting-place or something for that?

Albert J.Papadosifakis

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

RE: STATUS

Posted by "Albert J.Papadosifakis" <st...@designart.gr>.

Hell all, i noticed that the apache documentation comes in several language
flavours, including Hellenic(Greek)
I always felt the need of offering something to the Apache Community , and
therefore , i figured out that i can translate
several parts from the Apache documentation.
In an attempt to awaken the Microsoft-depended people here in Hellas(Greece)
i need some guidelines for several aspects
e.g from where i start, what i am supposed to do, some rules for the
documentation etc.

I am waiting for a reply.

Albert J.Papadosifakis

Re: STATUS

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.
"Note: I am currently travelling; at the moment I am in Brasil.
As a result, my mail is piling up and I may not be
very responsive.. :-/"

The keyboard of Joshua Slive chattered:

> On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
> > Joshua Slive wrote:
> > >
> > > - The STATUS Document.
> > >    - Is this the best organization/format?  What else needs to be
> > >      added?  Should this be auto-posted to apache-docs?
> >
> > Works for me.  Shall I add it to my autopost list, as with the
> > httpd STATUS file?
>
> Sounds like a good idea to me.

Done (a long time ago..).
--
#ken	P-)}

Apache Software Foundation         http://www.apache.org/
"Apache Server for Dummies"        http://Apache-Server.Com/
"Apache Server Unleashed"         http://ApacheUnleashed.Com/

Re: STATUS

Posted by Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>.
On Tue, 5 Dec 2000, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Joshua Slive wrote:
> >
> > - The STATUS Document.
> >    - Is this the best organization/format?  What else needs to be
> >      added?  Should this be auto-posted to apache-docs?
>
> Works for me.  Shall I add it to my autopost list, as with the
> httpd STATUS file?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Joshua.

Re: STATUS

Posted by Rodent of Unusual Size <Ke...@Golux.Com>.

Re: STATUS

Posted by Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>.
On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Patrik Grip-Jansson wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Joshua Slive wrote:
>
> > I don't know of anyone doing a Swedish translation, so you should feel
> > free to start one up.  You might want to do a little web search to see if
> > anyone else is working on this.  I got a few hits with a search for
> > "swedish apache" on google.
>
> I did a little digging around with Google, but I didn't find anything that
> looked like a swedish translation of Apache's docs. However I noticed that
> there was a couple of swedes in the cvs logs, so I guess I'll try and
> contact them and see if they know of any attempts at doing a
> translation...

I'd say: Fire away.  Start with something small and useful.

Joshua.

Re: STATUS

Posted by Patrik Grip-Jansson <pa...@gnulix.org>.

Re: STATUS

Posted by Joshua Slive <sl...@finance.commerce.ubc.ca>.
Hi Patrik,

Your contributions would be very appreciated.
If you haven't read:
http://apache-server.com/tutorials/ATdocs-project.html
then you should do so.

As far as the XHTML, we are just waiting for a concensus as to how we
should be constructing the files.  I posted a proposal on a new header
and footer a week or two ago, but I didn't get any response.

Re: STATUS

Posted by Patrik Grip-Jansson <pa...@gnulix.org>.