Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Luis Gallegos <lg...@todo1.com> on 2003/10/22 19:26:12 UTC

[users@httpd] apache in big sites

Hi, can somebody answer this questions please?

Dou you know which big sites use apache? yahoo? amazon?
Do you know number of dinamic pages per second that an apache web server
of a big site can answer? Do you know the hardware configuration of a
big site server (memory , number of processors)?
Do you know where else can I find this kind of information? (performance
and scalability in a huge server with 10 processors and 10GB Memory)

I thank you very much in advance,
	Luis

Re: [users@httpd] apache in big sites

Posted by Saqib Ali <sa...@seagate.com>.
What OS and platform are you planning to use. Usually it is the function
of the SMP capable OS to distribute processes/thread to the CPUs.

Have you looked into the option of having a cluster environment of the
quad/dual HYPERthreading CPUs, instead of 1 server with 12 processors?

I having tried HYPERthreading CPUs with SMP Linux Kernel and Apache 2.x.
Works quite well. But I have not tried 12 processors systems.

Saqib Ali
---------
http://validate.sourceforge.net <--- XHTML/HTML/DocBook Validator

Posted by Luis Gallegos <lg...@todo1.com>.
Thank you very much friends, It seems (based in your experience ) apache
can scale in a huge machine on connections, processor use, etc. Maybe
the machine is too big that can fullfill the network before it uses all
the resources.
What I need now is some numbers, I will search in yahoo about benchmarks
, and then I will make some tests-> then I will tell you the results.
My apache is 2.x and has MPM worker configured, the hardware is HP.

	Luis.

Posted by Bill Moran <wm...@potentialtech.com>.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies

Re: [users@httpd] apache in big sites

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 13:54:50 -0500, Luis Gallegos wrote:

> scale on a server for example of 12 processors and 3Gb memory.
[...]
> Will it use all the processors?

http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mpm.html

Wether Apache uses all the processors or not is up to the operating
system.

Apache either uses multiple threads or spawns multiple processes
(depending on the mpm module used) to handle the connections. How
those threads/processes are distributed between the processors
depends on the OS.

/Jonas

--
Jonas Eckerman, jonas_lists@frukt.org
http://www.fsdb.org/

Re: [users@httpd] apache in big sites

Posted by Luis Gallegos <lg...@todo1.com>.

Posted by Saqib Ali <sa...@seagate.com>.

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.
On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 12:26:12 -0500, Luis Gallegos wrote:

> Do you know the hardware configuration of
> a big site server (memory , number of processors)?

Just a note:

The really big sites don't use *one* server. They use a *bunch* of
web servers and balances the load between them

/Jonas