Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io> on 2012/01/17 01:09:30 UTC

1.4 release phone call

Today steve and I started an automation suite for the creation of a
release from a tag. Hope to be done this by end of week. Lets setup a
call to review that, the Apache process for releasing and an update on
our progress towards 1.4

How is Friday morning for everyone?

Re: 1.4 release phone call

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 1:09 AM, Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io> wrote:
> How is Friday morning for everyone?

I'll try to make time to join the call to answer any questions you may
have about the Apache release process.

As usual, it's good if someone posts a summary of the discussion to this list.

Before the call it would be useful for people to read (or at least
browse) the Apache release FAQ [1] and the more detailed (sometimes
too much so) Incubator release guide [2]. The amount of information
can look a bit daunting at first, but there's a lot of good advice in
these documents so its worth the time spent reading.

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html
[2] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: 1.4 release phone call

Posted by Joni Rustulka <jo...@adobe.com>.
Awesome - thanks steve!

-j

Re: 1.4 release phone call

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@adobe.com>.

Re: 1.4 release phone call

Re: 1.4 release phone call

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@adobe.com>.
I did record video + audio. I will post it here and on the wiki somewhere after lunch.

Re: 1.4 release phone call

Posted by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.4 release phone call

Posted by Michael Brooks <mi...@michaelbrooks.ca>.
Here are the meeting notes (https://gist.github.com/1649009).

# PhoneGap 1.4 Release Meeting

## Attendance

## Wiki

- Style guide
- Roadmap
    - Brian would like everyone to review it
    - Voice interest if you want to work on a certain feature

## Cordova Website

- Patrick kicked it off
- Yohei is also working on it
    - Dividing his time between phonegap.com and Cordova

### Cordova

- Open source project
- Contributor focused
- Contribution process

### PhoneGap

- User space
- App focus

## Release Script

- Steve is working on it
    - Written in node.js
    - Shells out to each platform build script
    - Steve and Brian will be posting details on it onto the mailing-list
today
- Goal is to cut Apache releases with this script
- Patrick requires node.js for Weinre.
    - He is working with Apache to get node.js on their servers for
automated builds

## Upcoming Apache Release

- 1.4 is too early
- Bryce feels like 1.5 is a do-able timeframe for the first Apache release

## 1.4 Release

- January 31, 2012 (Tentative)
- Not enough time for an Apache release

## 1.5 Release

- Target for Apache release
- Renaming all of the code

## PhoneGap-JS

- Fil could use some more resources to help with other platforms
    - Jesse for WP7?
    - Shazron for iOS?
        - Package namespaces is one of the largest differences between iOS
and the other platforms
        - iOS JavaScript also have a couple "global caste" functions for
native-to-javascript communication
            - These will need to be removed or wrapped into the ios-utils
function
            - The goal would be to avoid dropping these functions into the
global namespace
    - Anis for Bada?
- In the next week or two, Fil and Gord will do a connect session to
explain the code
    - Schedule a time on the mailing-list

## Android WebView Change Bug

- Joe, Fil, and Anis
- In Android 3/4, SDK switched from WebKit to Chrome
    - There is a bug where you cannot open Android assets (www/)
        - The fullpath is referenced in the native code, instead of a
relative URL
    - Joe has a workaround using the Android "jail"
    - The side-effect is that all assets in "assets/www" would need to be
moved into the "jail" on first run (at run-time)
    - A downfall is that run-time storage is doubled (original assets and
jailed assets)
    - From the PhoneGap developer perspective, there is no change
- The work is currently in a branch on the Android source
- Bryce, Simon, Joe, Fil, and Anis should take this to the mailing list and
schedule a Connect call for code-review
    - Based on the code-review, this feature will hit release 1.4 or 1.5

## Getting Start Guides

- Try to get these into the docs repository for 1.4

## White-List

- Has been a troublesome topic on Google Groups
- Anis patched an Android bug for "*"
    - He proposed a consistent implementation across all platforms
    - Potentially follow the Opera standard for white-listing
- White-listing should be documented on the docs site (Getting Started
section)

## Battery API

- Simon just added tests to mobile-spec for the draft of the newest APIs
- Fil: Are we switching to this spec?
- Simon: Keep the existing spec, but begin implementing the new draft. Tell
people that the existing spec will be gradually moving away.
- Fil: Would like to see the updated Battery spec for 1.5 (not 1.4)
- Debate: should we include it in Plugins XML by default?
    - Potential performance issues if we include it by default
    - At the moment, there is no performance issue if you do not subscribe
to the event
    - However, the new Battery Spec would run from the beginning
    - This is leading into a "Plugins Definition" discussion
        - Take this onto the mailing-list

## Mobile-Spec

- Brian: Should we move this into cordova-js?
- Fil: No, they are difficult to use as automated unit tests. We can move
certain parts into the unit tests, but we should keep mobile-spec on its
own.

## Git Repository Tagging

- Steve: Some of the repositories in github.com/apache/* are missing tags
- Bryce: Seconded. He has also noticed too
- EVERYONE - please push all of the tags
    - `git push --tags origin`
    - where "origin" is the Apache GitHub and Apache Git Infra

## Documentation

- For each platform, we need to document how Plugins XML works
- For each platform, we need to document how to create a plugin
- For each platform, we need to document how to use a plugin

## Fixing Apache Repository Naming

- At 1.5 we will fix the naming
    - cordova-blackberry-webworks => cordova-blackberry
    - cordova-iphone => cordova-ios

Re: 1.4 release phone call

Posted by Patrick Mueller <pm...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.4 release phone call

Posted by Andrew Savory <as...@apache.org>.
Hi folks,

To make sure everyone can collaborate and join the call, can you please
consider providing toll-free numbers that work in multiple countries (and
add emphasis to the VOIP alternative mentioned below)?

It might also be useful to post times in UTC as well as your local
timezone, and/or link to sites like
http://timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingdetails.html?year=2012&month=1&day=20&hour=18&min=0&sec=0&p1=224to
make it easier for people to convert to their local time.

Unfortunately I won't be able to make this particular call, but I look
forward to reading the notes!

Thanks,

Andrew.

--
Andrew.

Re: 1.4 release phone call

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
Great stuff, thx Steve!

Re: 1.4 release phone call

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.
Awesome, thanks Steve!

Re: 1.4 release phone call

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@adobe.com>.

Re: 1.4 release phone call

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.

Re: 1.4 release phone call

Posted by Steven Gill <st...@adobe.com>.

Re: 1.4 release phone call

Posted by Simon MacDonald <si...@gmail.com>.

Re: 1.4 release phone call

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
+1
10:00 AM PDT, Friday Jan 20, 2012

Re: 1.4 release phone call

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.
10am?

Re: 1.4 release phone call

Posted by Filip Maj <fi...@adobe.com>.

Re: 1.4 release phone call

Posted by Ken Wallis <kw...@rim.com>.
I will be on the call.
--
Ken Wallis
Manager ­ BlackBerry WebWorks

Research In Motion
(905) 629-4746 x14369

>Sent on the TELUS Mobility network with BlackBerry

Posted by gt...@gmail.com.
I will be on the call

Posted by Becky Gibson <gi...@gmail.com>.
Friday works for me, as well.