Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Diviner <cm...@equityunderwriters.com.hk> on 2004/12/23 09:18:02 UTC

How is svn work with ModelMaker?

Hi all,

Does anyone has experience to use ModelMaker work with svn? Expectially,
how to merge its Model Data?

Thank you very much.

--
Best regards,
Diviner.

Re: How is svn work with ModelMaker?

Posted by Martin Tomes <li...@tomes.org>.
Diviner wrote:
> Martin Tomes wrote:
>
>> If you have several people working on the same code at the same time
>> either:
>>
>>   - Each have your own separate ModelMaker model files, then there
>> will never be a need to merge a model.
>>   - or, use the same ModelMaker files but when there is a conflict
>> revert the file, merge the generated files, ensure they compile in
>> Delphi and then re-import them into the model.
>>
> Yes. It is my case for development in furture. I affraid that after a
> unit file is marged, model file cannot be merged at the momemt. My
> thinking is, in order to commit the changing, user temporarily takes
> either one version of model file to commit to SubVersion server right?
> Before someone do re-import, in the mean time the model file is a
> Incomplete State in SubVersion server. If somehow ModelMaker updates the
> unit file(that has been merged successfully) base on this Incomplete
> State's model file, it causes losing code.

I think I understand.  To avoid the ModelMaker model overwriting changed
  Dephi units make sure that you don't enable code export (the padlock
toolbutton) until you have imported all of the changed units.  That way
ModelMaker will not re-generate an old version of a file based on it's
model.

--
Martin Tomes
echo 'martin at tomes x org x uk'\

The Subversion Wiki is at http://www.subversionary.org/

Re: How is svn work with ModelMaker?

Posted by Diviner <cm...@equityunderwriters.com.hk>.
Martin Tomes wrote:

> If you have several people working on the same code at the same time
> either:
>
>   - Each have your own separate ModelMaker model files, then there
> will never be a need to merge a model.
>   - or, use the same ModelMaker files but when there is a conflict
> revert the file, merge the generated files, ensure they compile in
> Delphi and then re-import them into the model.

Yes. It is my case for development in furture. I affraid that after a
unit file is marged, model file cannot be merged at the momemt. My
thinking is, in order to commit the changing, user temporarily takes
either one version of model file to commit to SubVersion server right?
Before someone do re-import, in the mean time the model file is a
Incomplete State in SubVersion server. If somehow ModelMaker updates the
unit file(that has been merged successfully) base on this Incomplete
State's model file, it causes losing code.

So I want to clarity the handling method for this time gap.

--
Best regards,
Diviner.

Re: How is svn work with ModelMaker?

Posted by Martin Tomes <li...@tomes.org>.
Diviner wrote:
> Martin Tomes,
>
> At the moment, I am no idea to manage versioning about ModelMaker,
> even I have less experience in SubVersion/cvs also. All the idea I just get
> from several document only.
> - When using project bundles it is sufficient to add the <model>.mpb file
> to version control... (exact wording in manual)

I add this and the generated source code.

> - Strongly suggests put the new code on ModelMaker (Model Code) then
> apply it to Delphi unit. Keep this cycle in whole development;

I do this too!

> - It’s a good idea to use a version control system and put the model files
> under version control too. Although a model contains everything that is
> needed to (re-)generate the source files...(exact wording in manual)

See above, put it all under revision control.

> - If some new coding is added in Delphi IDE but has somethings wrong there,
> ModelMaker will not import from Delphi. So if you don't aware, and
> re-generate again, the code in Delphi will be lost! (Oh... horrible!!)
> What I read from manual are:

If you work in ModelMaker and put both the model and the code in version
control then the code will be OK - i.e., ModelMaker will be able to
understand it as it generated it.

The ModelMaker docs. assume version control with locks (coming in 1.2)
which allows you to serialise changes to the model file (which is non
mergable).

If you have several people working on the same code at the same time either:

   - Each have your own separate ModelMaker model files, then there will
never be a need to merge a model.
   - or, use the same ModelMaker files but when there is a conflict
revert the file, merge the generated files, ensure they compile in
Delphi and then re-import them into the model.

--
Have a great Christmas.

Posted by Diviner <cm...@equityunderwriters.com.hk>.
Martin Tomes,

At the moment, I am no idea to manage versioning about ModelMaker,
even I have less experience in SubVersion/cvs also. All the idea I just get
from several document only.

The reasons for me to considering put ModelMaker data to versioning
control system are the following guides from the manual(v8.0 demo) what
I have read:

- When using project bundles it is sufficient to add the <model>.mpb file
to version control... (exact wording in manual)
- Strongly suggests put the new code on ModelMaker (Model Code) then
apply it to Delphi unit. Keep this cycle in whole development;
- It’s a good idea to use a version control system and put the model files
under version control too. Although a model contains everything that is
needed to (re-)generate the source files...(exact wording in manual)
- If some new coding is added in Delphi IDE but has somethings wrong there,
ModelMaker will not import from Delphi. So if you don't aware, and
re-generate again, the code in Delphi will be lost! (Oh... horrible!!)
What I read from manual are:
"...When refreshing the unit, ModelMaker assumes it's reading
a 'compilable unit'. If you for example have omitted a single begin or
'end;' or worse, comment
out something, have unterminated strings etc. class and method import
will be in trouble and
not detect your error but simply remove all 'unwanted' methods. Since
ModelMaker detected a
change the unit is auto-generated and immediately after you saved the
unit is reloaded with
disastrous results. Experience shows that it's easy to loose lots of
work instantly..."
(exact wording in manual)

--
Best regards,