Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Tony Poppleton <to...@wanadoo.fr> on 2010/01/15 13:52:44 UTC

Google searches 3.x

Hi,

When I search on google for "httpclient" (on google.co.uk) the first hit points me to http://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/

The fact that google is not directing people to the latest version (at least in the UK) is probably hindering the uptake of 4.0.  Can I recommend that the 3.x website have a prominant warning pointing to the newer version 4.0 in the header at the top of every page?

Thanks,
Tony

Re: Google searches 3.x

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
Tony Poppleton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I search on google for "httpclient" (on google.co.uk) the first hit points me to http://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/
>
> The fact that google is not directing people to the latest version (at least in the UK) is probably hindering the uptake of 4.0.  Can I recommend that the 3.x website have a prominant warning pointing to the newer version 4.0 in the header at the top of every page?
>
> Thanks,
> Tony

This basically reflects the current state of things. 3.x code is still
in a widespread use and there is probably more references to the old
documentation, which explains its higher ranking in the Google index.
Ahh, well, the real trouble is I am getting old and lazy, and do not
feel like touching Maven1 even with a barge pole. Once HttpClient 4.1 GA
is ready it would be time to officially declare 3.x code line 'end of
life' and put a big fat disclaimer on all legacy web pages.

Oleg