Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Dave <sn...@gmail.com> on 2007/07/08 16:29:06 UTC

4.0 installation guide ready for review

The new 4.0 installation guide is ready for review. The new guide
covers the new EZ install process, includes a 5-minute install option,
details on Tomcat v6 and Glassfish v2 installation plus all the
familiar MySQL and I18N details.

You can find the guide here in PDF and OpenOffice formats:
http://people.apache.org/~snoopdave/apache-roller-4.0/roller-install-guide.pdf
http://people.apache.org/~snoopdave/apache-roller-4.0/roller-install-guide.odt

I have also prepared a snapshot release of 4.0 for installation testing:
http://people.apache.org/~snoopdave/apache-rolr-4.0/apache-roller-4.0-20070708-snapshot.tar.gz
http://people.apache.org/~snoopdave/apache-roller-4.0/apache-roller-4.0-20070708-snapshot.zip

Please try it out and report problems here the list and/or to JIRA.

Based on my recent installation experiences, here are a couple of
changes we should consider:
- Enable the Planet aggregator by default. Most people will want it
and there's little downside to having it running.
- The Planet aggregator should create it's own cache dir, just as the
search engine creates it's own index directory.
- Set  the "passwds.encryption.enabled" property to true by default.
Everybody should be using encrypted passwords now.

- Dave

Re: 4.0 installation guide ready for review

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.
On 7/8/07, Dave <sn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have also prepared a snapshot release of 4.0 for installation testing:
> http://people.apache.org/~snoopdave/apache-roller-4.0/apache-roller-4.0-20070708-snapshot.tar.gz
> http://people.apache.org/~snoopdave/apache-roller-4.0/apache-roller-4.0-20070708-snapshot.zip

Sorry for the bad link and the wrap-around, here's the correct link to
all of the 4.0 doc and test release files:

   http://people.apache.org/~snoopdave/apache-roller-4.0

- Dave

Re: 4.0 installation guide ready for review

Posted by ge...@gsa.gov.
I had been trying to open the Roller 4.0 snapshot .zip with WinZip when I
got the "not a valild archive" error.

I downloaded the Roller 4.0 snapshot tar.gz format as you suggested and I
can open it OK with WinZip.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Gerard Chelak
Technical Branch Chief/ISSO
Office of Citizen Services & Communications
usa.gov Technologies Division
1800 F Street, NW
Washington, DC 20405
Office  202 219 1118
Primary Cell 202 580 9792
gerard.chelak@gsa.gov

"Dave" <sn...@gmail.com>
07/24/2007 03:52 PM
Please respond to
dev@roller.apache.org

dev@roller.apache.org
cc

Subject
Re: 4.0 installation guide ready for review

What are you using the open the zip. If you are using WinZip, note
that it can also handle the tar.gz format.

- Dave

Posted by Dave <sn...@gmail.com>.