Posted to dev@devicemap.apache.org by Reza <re...@yahoo.com> on 2013/05/27 22:01:01 UTC

DDR data: openddr -> devicemap

So I was reviewing my upcoming Varnish User Group presentation on device detection with Bertrand and Werner and an interesting point was brought up, DeviceMap is not getting updated with the latest and greatest DDR data.

The OpenDDR data is at 1.18:
https://github.com/OpenDDRdotORG/OpenDDR-Resources

The DeviceMap DDR is using the original 1.15 data contribution:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/devicemap/trunk/openddr/data/src/main/resources/devicedata/

Personally, I feel this data is one of the cornerstones of the project. Here is my point and concern:

-The DeviceMap project should be the primary source for housing and updating the DDR data. Can we please start keeping the data in the DeviceMap SVN upto date?
-We need to better present this data as one of the usable aspects of this project

My second point leads me to my next goal for this project which is to really revamp our website to better convey what this project is about:

-Provided the latest and greatest DDR data, updated monthly. We should have a link present on our hopepage for users to easy download our DDR data
-Provide source code for developers to embed device detection logic in their applications
-Provide a device detection web service
-Provide a way for users to test devices against our DDR solution and submit requests, bug, defects, etc.

After my presentation next weekend, im going to put 100% of my effort in hitting my 4 goals for the website. If anyone would like to help, please let me know.

Also, here is my VUG presentation. Please look it over and let me know if you have any feedback.
http://www.rezsoft.org/vug7/dclass.ppt

Thanks again for everyone’s contribution to this project!

Reza

Re: DDR data: openddr -> devicemap

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
Hi,

On Mon, May 27, 2013 at 11:54 PM, Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The direction seems to make sense, but I'm not the lawyer at OpenDDR, so we
> may have to check with license/legal advisors.
> At the moment licenses are not same....

If someone from OpenDDR contributes code or data here, under their
iCLA (which is always the case) that's fine, and under the iCLA the
contributor retains their copyright anyway, they just grant a
copyright license to the ASF.

-Bertrand

Re: DDR data: openddr -> devicemap

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
The direction seems to make sense, but I'm not the lawyer at OpenDDR, so we
may have to check with license/legal advisors.
At the moment licenses are not same.

Werner

Posted by Werner Keil <we...@gmail.com>.
Reza/all,