Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dmitri Pissarenko <dm...@gmail.com> on 2011/05/05 16:55:08 UTC

Deployment problem on Tomcat 7.0.12

Hi!

When I try to deploy a WAR file by dropping it into webapps directory, I get
following message in the console:

04.05.2011 19:34:07 org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig deployWAR
SEVERE: Error deploying configuration descriptor xyz.war

I didn't find any hints about the detailed cause of this in the logs.

Where can I find out the details (e. g. the stack trace) about this failure?

Thanks in advance

Dmitri

P. S.: Here's the web.xml file:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
    xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee" xmlns:web="
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/web-app_2_5.xsd"
http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/javaee/web-app_2_5.xsd"
    id="WebApp_ID" version="2.5">
    <display-name>myapp</display-name>
    <context-param>
        <description>
    Vaadin production mode</description>
        <param-name>productionMode</param-name>
        <param-value>false</param-value>
    </context-param>
    <servlet>
        <servlet-name>Project Control Center Application</servlet-name>

<servlet-class>com.vaadin.terminal.gwt.server.ApplicationServlet</servlet-class>
        <init-param>
            <description>
        Vaadin application class to start</description>
            <param-name>application</param-name>

<param-value>at.mycompany.myapp.ProjectControlCenterApplication</param-value>
        </init-param>
    </servlet>
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>Project Control Center Application</servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>/*</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>
    <welcome-file-list>
        <welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
        <welcome-file>index.htm</welcome-file>
        <welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
        <welcome-file>default.html</welcome-file>
        <welcome-file>default.htm</welcome-file>
        <welcome-file>default.jsp</welcome-file>
    </welcome-file-list>
    <listener>

<listener-class>at.mycompany.myapp.impl.persistence.DatabaseStartStopServletContextListener</listener-class>
    </listener>
    <session-config>
        <session-timeout>480</session-timeout>
    </session-config>
</web-app>

Re: Deployment problem on Tomcat 7.0.12

Posted by David kerber <dc...@verizon.net>.

> Dmitri,
>
> On 5/6/2011 10:19 AM, Dmitri Pissarenko wrote:
>> Now I found the error. It was a malformed context.xml file.
>
> Perhaps next time you won't be so anxious to flame the members of this
> community before checking-out your own webapp.

Are you maybe thinking of a different thread by a different OP?  The
messages I saw from Dmitri were all quite polite.

RE: Deployment problem on Tomcat 7.0.12

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Dmitri Pissarenko [mailto:dmitri.pissarenko@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Deployment problem on Tomcat 7.0.12

> > Perhaps next time you won't be so anxious to flame the members of this
> > community before checking-out your own webapp.

> I don't understand what you are talking about.

I think Chris was confused - your comments and questions were more than polite.

 - Chuck

Re: Deployment problem on Tomcat 7.0.12

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Deployment problem on Tomcat 7.0.12

Posted by Dmitri Pissarenko <dm...@gmail.com>.
> Perhaps next time you won't be so anxious to flame the members of this
> community before checking-out your own webapp.

I don't understand what you are talking about.

Best regards

Dmitri

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Deployment problem on Tomcat 7.0.12

Posted by Dmitri Pissarenko <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hello!

Now I found the error. It was a malformed context.xml file.

Thanks for your help.

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.

Re: Deployment problem on Tomcat 7.0.12

Posted by Dmitri Pissarenko <dm...@gmail.com>.
Hello!

> Tomcat is capable of generating several log files depending upon the
> configuration. Are you using the default logging configuration?

Yes. I just downloaded Tomcat and dropped my WAR file into the webapps
directory.

> Check any of the files in logs/* to see if any of them have error
> messages. Sometimes they are found in catalina.out, sometimes in
> [host].log, etc.

There are following files in the directory:

catalina.2011-05-04.log
localhost_access_log.2011-05-04.txt
host-manager.2011-05-04.log
manager.2011-05-04.log
localhost.2011-05-04.log

The only error message I found was this:

INFO: The APR based Apache Tomcat Native library which allows optimal
performance in production environments was not found on the
java.library.path: C:\Program
Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_23\bin;.;C:\windows\Sun\Java\bin;C:\windows\system32;C:\windows;C:\windows\system32;C:\windows;C:\windows\System32\Wbem;C:\windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;c:\Program
Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Tools\binn\;C:\Program Files\jEdit;C:\Program
Files\Bazaar;C:\Program Files\Graphviz2.26.3\bin;c:\Program Files\Microsoft
SQL Server\100\Tools\Binn\;c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL
Server\100\DTS\Binn\;C:\Program Files\gs9.00\bin;C:\Program
Files\apache-maven-2.2.1\bin;C:\Program
Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_23\bin;C:\Ruby191\lib\ruby\gems\1.9.1\gems\taskjuggler-0.0.8\bin;C:\Ruby191\bin;C:\Program
Files\OpenLibraries\bin;C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program
Files\TortoiseSVN\bin;C:\Program Files\Calibre2\;C:\Program Files\CVSNT\

Can it be the cause of the deployment problem?

If not, where else can I search?

Thanks in advance

Dmitri

Posted by Christopher Schultz <ch...@christopherschultz.net>.