Posted to dev@cxf.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@basistech.com> on 2007/09/21 22:04:08 UTC

Is the idea of wsdl2java (aegis) really useful?

I'm wondering why anyone would want this. If the user is going to run a
code generator, what's wrong with JAXB? The virtue of Aegis is to avoid
an infestation of snails (@) in existing code. Once you are firing up a
generator, it's new code.

I note that Aegis has some not-very-documented capabilities, and I
wonder if some of them are superior to JAXB in some way.

Do we ever post some sort of [POLL] to the user list asking 'who would
use this feature' questions?

Re: Is the idea of wsdl2java (aegis) really useful?

Posted by James Mao <ja...@iona.com>.
Yep, I agreed, make more sense from java to wsdl than from wsdl to java.

James

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@basistech.com>.
Jim,

I can see your point. On the other hand, unless xjc can be coopted,
wsdl->aegis will be a really big project. The doc I've found on xjc is
really uninformative, so I have not been able to convince myself that it
could be persuaded to write additional files. I suppose that if it would
write additional comments we could post-process.

I have a strategy in mind if we decide to go here.

Step 1 is to define Aegis as being complementary to JAXB instead of
completely parallel.

Then, step 2 is to implement ->aegis by concentrating on the cases you
cite with real value, instead of a complete recreation of xjc.

--benson

Posted by Jim Ma <em...@iona.com>.
Hi Benson ,

As far as I can see , aegis data binding is complementary to JAXB
whether from java-> wsdl or
wsdl-> java direction .

I have not dug into aegis data binding code to find out if it can do the
following things ,but i think
having these feature in wsdl2java  makes sense :
1. Generating simple code-first-liked  java class that easy to understand.
2. Generating java.util.Data type without add a XmlTypAdaptor
customization to map xsd:dateto java.util.Date
   and other thing we need to use jaxb customization to map a shcema
type to a common jdk class.
And also we can use aegis data binding in wsdl first direction as it's a

Posted by Daniel Kulp <dk...@apache.org>.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer