Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2011/08/10 14:47:50 UTC

anyone have experience with Tycho?

Here's a post:
http://www.zeroturnaround.com/blog/building-eclipse-plug-ins-with-maven-3-and-tycho/

At some point in the future, we may want to revisit our Eclipse build strategies
in light of this kind of tooling...

-Marshall

Re: anyone have experience with Tycho?

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
  Hi,

I'll give it a try when we address the maven build process for the
textmarker projects. Currently, I'm still occupied with the
restructuring and renaming.

Peter

Am 10.08.2011 14:51, schrieb Jörn Kottmann:
> Maybe something we could try for the TextMarker plugins.
>
> Jörn

>> Here's a post:
>> http://www.zeroturnaround.com/blog/building-eclipse-plug-ins-with-maven-3-and-tycho/
>>

>> At some point in the future, we may want to revisit our Eclipse build
>> strategies
>> in light of this kind of tooling...
>>
>> -Marshall

Dipl.-Inf. Peter Klügl
Universität Würzburg        Tel.: +49-(0)931-31-86741
Am Hubland                  Fax.: +49-(0)931-31-86732
97074 Würzburg              mail: pkluegl@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
      http://www.is.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/en/staff/kluegl_peter/

Re: anyone have experience with Tycho?

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
Am 10.08.2011 um 15:35 schrieb Jörn Kottmann:

> Well, currently you also need to make sure all required plugins are
> installed in your eclipse
> installation to run the UIMA plugins. As far as I know that is also the
> PDE way, eclipse does
> not download any dependencies for you itself.

Last time I was working on an Eclipse RCP application, we found it very useful to store a target platform definition and the platform bundles in subversion. That is, have a folder in subversion that contains all bundles necessary to start an Eclipse instance which would serve as the common platform. By opening the platform definition file and applying the platform definition, all developers were sure that they were developing on the same basis, independent of the version of their Eclipse IDE and the bundles installed in it.

See http://wiki.eclipse.org/PDE/Target_Definitions

> One thing I find a little annoying currently is, that I always need
> maven to generate the MANIFEST.MF file
> and that the PDE tooling for this cannot be used. I guess these things
> will work better with Tycho.

Indeed.

Richard

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Technical Lead
Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab
FB 20 Computer Science Department
Technische Universität Darmstadt
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
eckartde@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de

Re: anyone have experience with Tycho?

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
Am 10.08.2011 um 15:13 schrieb Jörn Kottmann:

> On 8/10/11 2:58 PM, Richard Eckart de Castilho wrote:
>> As far as I understood Tycho, it takes the PDE metadata and makes it usable by Maven. Dependencies are downloaded from Update Sites, etc. Effectively this allows you to build Eclipse PDE applications in tools like Jenkins that support Maven, but not the PDE builds.
>
> Doesn't the posted link say that it is possible to resolve dependencies
> from a maven repository?
>
> Here:
> "Let Tycho use the P2 resolver, which resolves plug-ins from
> repositories defined in the POM."

There are two parts to Tycho:

1) the maven plugin that you add to the POM
2) the m2eclipse connector that you install in Eclipse

The maven plugin allows maven resolves artifacts from a P2 repository in addition to regular maven repositories.

I am not completely sure what the m2eclipse connector does, though. I know that it is able to detect that the uimaj-ep-* modules are PDE projects and generates a PDE nature into the Eclipse .project file.  I am not sure how it handles artifact resolution within Eclipse, e.g. does one use the "Plug-in Dependencies", the "Maven Dependencies" or  both. Last time I tried tycho, I couldn't figure that out properly. My impression at the time was that m2eclipse could not act as a resolver for dependencies in Eclipse for PDE projects. During my latest experiments with UIMA, though, I temporarily had a state where I had both "Plug-in Dependencies" and "Maven Dependencies" in a project and it seemed at least not to cause build errors.

Some experimentation should help ;)

Cheers,

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.
> As far as I understood Tycho, it takes the PDE metadata and makes it usable by Maven. Dependencies are downloaded from Update Sites, etc. Effectively this allows you to build Eclipse PDE applications in tools like Jenkins that support Maven, but not the PDE builds.

Doesn't the posted link say that it is possible to resolve dependencies
from a maven repository?

Here:
"Let Tycho use the P2 resolver, which resolves plug-ins from
repositories defined in the POM."

Anyway I didn't try it yet ...

Jörn

Re: anyone have experience with Tycho?

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
> Here's a post:
> http://www.zeroturnaround.com/blog/building-eclipse-plug-ins-with-maven-3-and-tycho/
>
> At some point in the future, we may want to revisit our Eclipse build strategies
> in light of this kind of tooling...

As far as I understood Tycho, it takes the PDE metadata and makes it usable by Maven. Dependencies are downloaded from Update Sites, etc. Effectively this allows you to build Eclipse PDE applications in tools like Jenkins that support Maven, but not the PDE builds.

For me, the major difference is, that I can no longer maintain dependencies in the POM file and profit from Maven's automatic resolving and downloading. Instead I have to manually download and install required plugins into my IDE or use an Eclipse Platform Definition to develop my applications. Since I love Maven's downloading automatic capabilities, my conclusions so far was: no tycho for me.