Posted to dev@taverna.apache.org by Gunith Devasurendra <gu...@outlook.com> on 2015/10/03 06:10:27 UTC

Newbie: How can I contribute?

Hi,

I'm a Java developer of around 6 years from Sri Lanka and I found your project interesting, despite not having much domain experience.
Am keen to contribute. I would be grateful if someone can help me start?

Thanks and Best Regards,
Gunith

Re: Newbie: How can I contribute?

Posted by Stian Soiland-Reyes <st...@apache.org>.
Hi!

Great to hear you are interested in contributing! As a volunteer based open
source project we welcome any help, big or small!

Don't worry about the domain knowledge, many of us don't know much about
the underlying science or workflow theory either.

Perhaps you could summarise your expertise areas? From
https://lk.linkedin.com/in/gunith I see you know axis, web services, SOAP,
JSON, Spring, Hibernate, which are all used by Taverna, so we could really
use you help!

I would suggest a couple of approaches:

a) try out Taverna Workbench 2.5, look at tutorials, run an example
workflow. Feel what Taverna is about, and what might need improving. Raise
Jira issues for anything odd in the software or documentation. Feel free to
ask any question on this list!

b) pick an existing bug, check out relevant git project, and investigate.
Put comments on the bug in Jira (they are CCed to this list), or raise a
GitHub pull request to fix it. Often just asking a sensible question on a
bug can be enough to wake up discussions within the community and can guide
you to a solution.

c) build the taverna commandline product and try to run it
target/*product*/executeworkflow.sh with the helloworld example workflow.
Update README.md for documentation on that is missing so its easier for the
next contributor.

Remember, if you are stuck, just ask on this list. As we are still not
fully settled after moving to the Apache Software Foundation you will
probably find something wrong, confusing or missing in the docs, so you can
help us just as much by letting us know about those!

Links:
http://taverna.incubator.apache.org/download/workbench/
http://taverna.incubator.apache.org/documentation/quick-start-guide/
http://taverna.incubator.apache.org/community/edit