Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Techguy <te...@netscan.ca> on 2007/02/22 19:22:11 UTC

[users@httpd] Installing Apache 1.3 on Windows 2003

I just installed Apache 1.3.5 on Windows 2003, and when I tested it it
worked, but when I tried to install PHP I can't start the server anymore.
The apache server on the local machine started and then stopped...........

I used this website to configure PHP.
<http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/php4install.shtml>
http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/php4install.shtml

I have also changed the document root to another location, which did work
before PHP. So assuming I have followed the instruction on this site to the
T, what could be the problem????????

Thanks

Re: [users@httpd] .htaccess and hotlinking question/problem

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Dec 24, 2007 2:30 AM, Techman <te...@netscan.ca> wrote:
> >From what I can figure out now, mod-rewrite is not installed. Now when I
> type in www.mysite.com/download/myfile.avi in my browser I get a server
> error.  There is nothing in my httpd.conf about mod_rewrite, nor can I find
> any files pertaining to it. This serves my purpose as it does stop the
> direct downloading of files, it's just not pretty and would be nice if it
> worked properly. Just so you know where I am coming from, I did not even
> know what mod_rewite was until a few days ago. If there is another way to
> test to see if it is installed, please let me know. I am not a guru on this
> stuff, just know enough to get by.

apachectl -M
will tell you all the modules you have loaded (if you are using the
most recent version of apache; otherwise, you'll need "httpd -l" and
check all the LoadModule directives in httpd.conf).

But you don't need mod_rewrite for this. Assuming you have control of
httpd.conf, you can use something like
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/env.html#examples
or
http://wiki.apache.org/httpd/DisableImageHotLinking

Joshua.

RE: [users@httpd] .htaccess and hotlinking question/problem

Posted by Techman <te...@netscan.ca>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Re: [users@httpd] Installing Apache 1.3 on Windows 2003

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Pid wrote:
> Techguy wrote:
>> It works, PHP doesn't - and since I have 1.3 on my Linux box I want to keep
>> them the same, and I don't plan on upgrading Linux. If it isn't broke, don't
>> mess with it.

If you are really running apache 1.3.5 on your linux box, and corresponding
software from that epoch, it has serious issues.  I doubt it's your box anymore
:)

Re: [users@httpd] Installing Apache 1.3 on Windows 2003

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Techguy wrote:
> Now that everyone has got their opinions out of the way of how behind I am,
> is their a way to get this to work? To the person who said "I doubt it's
> your box anymore", Why?? It is and it works, and to WOW everyone even more,
> it's running beautifully on a 366 with 256 megs of ram.

Apache 1.3.5 is about 8 years old, and was never released.  If you run software
that flaky, and connected to the internet, you are pwned and should reformat
your harddrive immediately and spare us the spam and viruses you are spewing
out on behalf of others.

> New does not necessarily mean better, and in many cases are much worse.

In the case of Apache 1.3 - I'm individually responsible for a vast number
of Windows-specific bug fixes to the very hackish attempt to run Apache using
threads, instead of separate processes.  It works (kinda) and I used it (past
tense) myself when I was locally developing stuff on win to roll out on real
boxes in production (not windows).  Apache 1.3 was built for fork().

In Apache 2 we scrapped that crap.  We started over designing the internals
of apache to deal with threads, processes or whatever the Operating System
provided us that would work effectively.  A library called APR provides the
most generic abstraction of these concepts that we can.

So on Windows, you won't find many champions when the only source code
champion (me) has effectively said aidos to 1.3 when it's running on Win.
The bugs that remain in 1.3 on Windows will never be fixed.  The solution
to a new server on Windows is an Apache 2.something version.

That is as official a word as you'll ever read.

Bill

RE: [users@httpd] Installing Apache 1.3 on Windows 2003

Posted by Techguy <te...@netscan.ca>.
Now that everyone has got their opinions out of the way of how behind I am,
is their a way to get this to work? To the person who said "I doubt it's
your box anymore", Why?? It is and it works, and to WOW everyone even more,
it's running beautifully on a 366 with 256 megs of ram.

It never crashes, it never hiccups, and it's reasonably fast running on an
old version of Slackware (8.1) - so why would I want to change it? I also
have an analog TV and a 15 year old toaster that work fantastic as well, and
I'm not planning to upgrade those either.

New does not necessarily mean better, and in many cases are much worse.

Thanks

> It works, PHP doesn't - and since I have 1.3 on my Linux box I want to
keep
> them the same, and I don't plan on upgrading Linux. If it isn't broke,
don't
> mess with it.

if everyone did that, we'd still be banging flints together.

Posted by Pid <p...@pidster.com>.

Posted by Evan Platt <ev...@espphotography.com>.
At 11:54 AM 2/22/2007, Techguy wrote:
>It works, PHP doesn't - and since I have 1.3 on my Linux box I want to keep
>them the same, and I don't plan on upgrading Linux. If it isn't broke, don't
>mess with it.

With security holes, exploits, etc, do you REALLY want to run a OLD
version of Apache?

Do you keep your operating system up to date with patches?

RE: [users@httpd] Installing Apache 1.3 on Windows 2003

Posted by Techguy <te...@netscan.ca>.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Techguy wrote:

> I used this website to configure PHP.
> http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/php4install.shtml

He last updated that 7 March 2003.  Maybe you should ask him?

Or perhaps read modern instructions instead.