Posted to phoenix-dev@avalon.apache.org by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de> on 2002/05/21 14:12:55 UTC

Has assembly.xml format changed?

Hello,

is the assembly.xml format in the Phoenix docs still up to date? I'm
getting this error message:

org.apache.avalon.phoenix.tools.verifier.VerifyException: Service class
"org.apache.avalon.phoenix.Block" specified for Block named "sockets" is
not implemented by Block class
(org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.blocks.sockets.DefaultSocketManager).

My assembly.xml looks like this:

<!-- The SocketManager block -->
<block
class="org.apache.avalon.cornerstone.blocks.sockets.DefaultSocketManager"
name="sockets"/>

cheers,

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring
DENIC eG, Systementwicklung

Re: Block interface question...

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 22 May 2002 23:29, Andrei Ivanov wrote:
> Hi, since it has been deprecated what shall I do with my code, just remove
> Block from every place?

Yep.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Block interface question...

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, 22 May 2002 23:47, Andrei Ivanov wrote:
> Hi, ok, with next release :-) damned deadlines...
> Btw, are there any examples you recommend to look at to start with
> ServiceManager and Serviceable?

Most of the cornerstone stuff shoul d be converted to use it I believe.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Block interface question...

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@osm.net>.

Andrei Ivanov wrote:

>Hi, ok, with next release :-) damned deadlines...
>Btw, are there any examples you recommend to look at to start with
>ServiceManager and Serviceable?

ServiceManager is semantically equivalent to ComponentManager.  They
both have a lookup and relase operation.  The only significant
difference is that code written for a component manager may narrow an
object to Component - whereas code for a ServiceManager allows
java.lang.Object.

Rolling over is easy: (a)  replace Composable with Serviceable, (b)
replace the compose operation and ComponentException with service and
ServiceException and update the imut argement to be a ServiceManager
(c)  replace any ComponentManger references with ServiceManager, (d)
check for any other org.apache.avalon.component imports and handle as
appropriate.

Cheers, Steve.

>Andrei

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

Re: Block interface question...

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: Block interface question...

On Wed, 22 May 2002 23:29, Andrei Ivanov wrote:
> Hi, since it has been deprecated what shall I do with my code, just remove
> Block from every place?

Yep.

--
Cheers,

Peter Donald

Block interface question...

Posted by Andrei Ivanov <my...@surfeu.fi>.

Re: Starting phoenix with wrapper problem...

Posted by Andrei Ivanov <my...@surfeu.fi>.
Hi,
>eek! First I heard - I changed CLIMain.shutdown() to public and hopefully
that
>will fix the above.

changed to public, builded, and NO MORE exception! Hope you'll update it to
cvs.
Thanks
Andrei

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.

Posted by Ulrich Mayring <ul...@denic.de>.
Andrei Ivanov wrote:

> Ok, I made one step forward, problem was that according to wrapper.conf
> which goes with the phoenix, all wrapper files jar, dll, exe and conf has to
> be in dist/bit. It seems so... Now it starts without security exception but
> gives the other one (there is no sar in apps):
>
> jvm 1    | Phoenix 4.0a4
> jvm 1    |
> jvm 1    | Shutting down Phoenix.
> jvm 1    | java.lang.NoSuchMethodException
> jvm 1    |      at java.lang.Class.getMethod0(Native Method)
> jvm 1    |      at java.lang.Class.getMethod(Unknown Source)
> jvm 1    |      at
> org.apache.avalon.phoenix.launcher.Main.shutdown(Main.java:118)

This is "normal", i.e. we have it, too, and it doesn't hurt AFAIK. By

Posted by Andrei Ivanov <my...@surfeu.fi>.
I tracked down the problem a little, so exception is thrown in
"org.apache.avalon.phoenix.launcher.Main" in "protected static final void
shutdown()" there is  e.printStackTrace(); which dumps exception then there
is a problem in

 117          final Class clazz = c_frontend.getClass();
 118          final Method method = clazz.getMethod( "shutdown", new
Class[ 0 ] );
 121          method.invoke( c_frontend, new Object[ 0 ] );

I don't know what is the c_frontend object...
Andrei

PS wrapper was lauchned with "-c" option

> Ok, I made one step forward, problem was that according to wrapper.conf
> which goes with the phoenix, all wrapper files jar, dll, exe and conf has
> be in dist/bit. It seems so... Now it starts without security exception
but
> gives the other one (there is no sar in apps):
>
> jvm 1    | Phoenix 4.0a4
> jvm 1    |
> jvm 1    | Shutting down Phoenix.
> jvm 1    | java.lang.NoSuchMethodException
> jvm 1    |      at java.lang.Class.getMethod0(Native Method)
> jvm 1    |      at java.lang.Class.getMethod(Unknown Source)
> jvm 1    |      at
> org.apache.avalon.phoenix.launcher.Main.shutdown(Main.java:118)
> jvm 1    |      at

org.apache.avalon.phoenix.launcher.DaemonLauncher.stop(DaemonLauncher.java:6
> 8)
> jvm 1    |      at
> com.silveregg.wrapper.WrapperManager.stopInner(WrapperManager.java:670)
> jvm 1    |      at
> com.silveregg.wrapper.WrapperManager.handleSocket(WrapperManager.java:890)
> jvm 1    |      at
> com.silveregg.wrapper.WrapperManager.run(WrapperManager.java:979)
> jvm 1    |      at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
> wrapper  | <-- Wrapper Stopped
>
> I am using phoenix which I co from apache cvs about 30 min. ago.
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(Unknown
> > Source)
> > jvm 3    |      at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(Unknown
> Source)
> > jvm 3    |      at java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPropertyAccess(Unknown
> > Source)
> > jvm 3    |      at java.lang.System.getProperty(Unknown Source)
> > jvm 3    |      at
> > com.silveregg.wrapper.WrapperManager.<clinit>(WrapperManager.java:159)
> > jvm 3    |      at

org.apache.avalon.phoenix.launcher.DaemonLauncher.main(DaemonLauncher.java:1

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: Has assembly.xml format changed?

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
On Tue, 21 May 2002 23:34, Ulrich Mayring wrote:
> Peter Donald wrote:
> > Make sure that you update to the latest phoenix. It looks like you
> > updated to latest cornerstone but still running on an old phoenix.
>
> Nope, my Phoenix was only 1 or 2 days old, but I updated from cvs right
> now again, but the message is still the same. Some additional
> deprecation warnings appear (The Block named "dms" (implementation class
> "de.denic.app.dms.DMSSocketImpl"), implements Block interface. The Block
> interface has been deprecated and should no longer be used.), showing
> that the update was indeed performed. But I still get this:
>
> jvm 1    | java.lang.NullPointerException
> jvm 1    |      at
> org.apache.excalibur.threadcontext.ThreadContext.setThreadContext(ThreadCon
>text.java:95)

Hmm. I still think that you have some old jars somewhere in your installation.
(Make sure there is only 1 excalibur-threadcontext jar in $PHOENIX_HOME/lib).
The main reason being that ThreadContext.java:95 does not refer to a valid
line on my copy of the source.

If I do a clean download from CVS and run the following

$ ant install -Dphoenix.home=install
$ cp avalon-demo.sar install/apps/
$  install/bin/run.sh

It all works fine for me. Not sure.