Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Marc Richter <ma...@marc-richter.info> on 2019/06/28 13:55:13 UTC

Securing cluster communication

Hi everyone,

I'm completely new to Cassandra DB, so please do not roast me for asking
obvious stuff.

I managed to setup one Cassandra node and enter some data to it,
successfully. Next, I installed a second node, which connects to that
first one via port 7000 and sync all that data from it. This worked fine
as well.

But doing so, it leaves me puzzled a bit because of the security aspect
of this: Neither did I need to authenticate to the seeding (first) node,
nor did I find a resource which describes how to secure that cluster
communication by implementing some kind of authentication, which
prevents everyone on the same net to connect to the nodes.

How is this dealt with in Cassandra? Is setting up firewalls the only
way to allow only some nodes to connect to the ports 7000/7001?

BR,
Marc

Re: Securing cluster communication

Posted by Hannu Kröger <hk...@gmail.com>.
I would start checking this page: http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/operating/security.html

Then move to this:
https://thelastpickle.com/blog/2015/09/30/hardening-cassandra-step-by-step-part-1-server-to-server.html

Cheers,
Hannu

Posted by Oleksandr Shulgin <ol...@zalando.de>.
On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 3:57 PM Marc Richter <ma...@marc-richter.info> wrote:

> How is this dealt with in Cassandra? Is setting up firewalls the only
> way to allow only some nodes to connect to the ports 7000/7001?

Hi,

You can set

server_encryption_options:
    internode_encryption: all

and distribute the same key/trust-store on each node of the same cluster.

Cheers,
--
Alex