Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Robin Lynn Frank <rl...@paradigm-omega.com> on 2004/10/09 18:43:05 UTC

A simple way to...

We use SA 3.0.0 with MySQL so we can extract certain AWL data and use it
at the MTA level.  However, since SA doesn't have an auto-blacklist
feature, I'd like to find a relatively simple way to extract IP
addresses from emails that contain spam.  If it is of any importance, we
invoke SA via amavisd-new.

--
Robin Lynn Frank
Director of Operations

Re: A simple way to...

Posted by Bill Landry <bi...@pointshare.com>.
Posted by Robin Lynn Frank <rl...@paradigm-omega.com>.
On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 15:41:37 -0600 (CST)
Ryan Thompson <ry...@sasknow.com> wrote:

> Robin Lynn Frank wrote to users@spamassassin.apache.org:
>
> > We use SA 3.0.0 with MySQL so we can extract certain AWL data and
> > use it at the MTA level.  However, since SA doesn't have an
> > auto-blacklist feature,
>
> Hi Robin,
>
> Actually, "AutoWhiteList" (AWL) is a bit of a misnomer. AWL maintains
> average message scores for sender/class-B tuples, so, in effect, it is
> also an auto blacklist, because repeat spam senders will have high
> average scores in the AWL database.
>
> > I'd like to find a relatively simple way to extract IP addresses
> > from emails that contain spam.  If it is of any importance, we
> > invoke SA via amavisd-new.
>
> See, for instance, the check_whitelist script in the tools/ directory
> of the distribution. I get output like this:
>
>      -4.5       (-35.6/8)  --  hamster@domain.com|ip=64.59
>       9.3        (27.9/3)  --  spamster@domain.com|ip=65.39
>
> The first line is for a user that sends ham, so his/her score on
> future messages would be pushed closer to -4.5.
>
> The second line is for a user that sends spam, so, if they sent a more
> hammy message later, the AWL would likely *add* points to the message,
> while decreasing the average slightly.
>
> It works both ways. If you want to use this at the MTA level, I could
> envision you wanting to grab, say, every entry over a certain average
> score and potentially greylist based on that or something.
>
> Hope this helps,
> - Ryan

Yes it does.  The only thing I see that is a problem is that the IPs
appear to be /16s.  /24s would be a broad enough brush to paint with.
Back to the drawing board.

--
Robin Lynn Frank
Director of Operations

Re: A simple way to...

Posted by Ryan Thompson <ry...@sasknow.com>.
Robin Lynn Frank wrote to users@spamassassin.apache.org:

> We use SA 3.0.0 with MySQL so we can extract certain AWL data and use
> it at the MTA level.  However, since SA doesn't have an auto-blacklist
> feature,

Hi Robin,

Actually, "AutoWhiteList" (AWL) is a bit of a misnomer. AWL maintains
average message scores for sender/class-B tuples, so, in effect, it is
also an auto blacklist, because repeat spam senders will have high
average scores in the AWL database.

> I'd like to find a relatively simple way to extract IP addresses from
> emails that contain spam.  If it is of any importance, we invoke SA
> via amavisd-new.

See, for instance, the check_whitelist script in the tools/ directory of
the distribution. I get output like this:

     -4.5       (-35.6/8)  --  hamster@domain.com|ip=64.59
      9.3        (27.9/3)  --  spamster@domain.com|ip=65.39

The first line is for a user that sends ham, so his/her score on future
messages would be pushed closer to -4.5.

The second line is for a user that sends spam, so, if they sent a more
hammy message later, the AWL would likely *add* points to the message,
while decreasing the average slightly.

It works both ways. If you want to use this at the MTA level, I could
envision you wanting to grab, say, every entry over a certain average
score and potentially greylist based on that or something.

Hope this helps,
- Ryan

--
   Ryan Thompson <ry...@sasknow.com>

         Tel: 306-664-3600   Fax: 306-244-7037   Saskatoon