Posted to dev@spamassassin.apache.org by Warren Togami <wt...@redhat.com> on 2009/09/28 07:44:28 UTC

Commit access to svn

Hi folks,

What do I need to do to gain commit access?  I sent in the signed Apache
CLA a few weeks ago but I heard nothing back.

My plans initially are only to put new tests into the sandbox to see how
they do.

* Get Adam Katz's KHOP rules updated in the sandbox so they can be
properly tested.

* Sandbox testing of additional blacklists like JMF, SEM

* Split PSBL into sub rules.  RCVD_IN_PSBL is currently looking at all
headers instead of just last-external.  This can work very well.  But I
believe there is a simple way to improve this furter by splitting it
into two subrules.  This change can be made after the GA rescoring if
the rule is split properly.

Use RCVD_IN_PSBL_2WEEKS to assign a score.  RCVD_IN_PSBL_DEEP would be
te equivalent to RCVD_IN_PSBL_2WEEKS.  The stricter RCVD_IN_PSBL would
be a subrule that matches only with last-external, thereby being
stricter and eliminating most of the already mininuscule chance of false
positives.  Thus the full score of RCVD_IN_PSBL_2WEEKS would be split
into two parts.

Before
RCVD_IN_PSBL_2WEEKS score 2
This rule does deep parsing which is often good, but sometimes bad.

After
RCVD_IN_PSBL score 2
This rule matces only last-external making it safer from FP's.
RCVD_IN_PSBL_DEEP score -1
This rule is can be scored separately, subtracting a tiny amount if the
PSBL hit was found in deep parsing.  Both rules would trigger, one adds,
the second subtracts.  The subtracting rule would never fire on its own.

* I am also looking at ways to expand the use of the SOUGHT methodology.
  Either improve the existing SOUGHT, or launch a separate SOUGHT-like
channel based upon an entirely different corpus.  For example, Japanese
spam trap corpus + Japanese ham corpus = SOUGHT-JP nightly sa-update
channel.  I'm even seeing big spam differences between jm's corpus
generated sought rules and my own corpus.  There is room for improvement
with the current SOUGHT.

Warren Togami
wtogami@redhat.com

Re: Commit access to svn

Posted by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org>.
On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 06:44, Warren Togami <wt...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> What do I need to do to gain commit access?  I sent in the signed Apache
> CLA a few weeks ago but I heard nothing back.

that's normal; we don't automatically create an account on CLA receipt, and
we generally need the CLA much earlier than that (if the contributions have
already been significant enough).

I'll propose it to the pmc list and I'm pretty sure we'll be voting you in.
as per http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/ProjectRoles , you haven't
contributed enough bad code to do otherwise ;)

--j.

--
--j.

Re: Commit access to svn

Posted by Warren Togami <wt...@redhat.com>.
On 09/29/2009 08:49 AM, Justin Mason wrote:

>     I assume this means we are capable of both deep parsing and
>     lastexternal with a single lookup?
>

> Good question.  I think so but am not certain.
>
> --
> --j.

If we can't do it both in one query, then we shouldn't bother with a
second deep parsing rule.

Warren

Re: Commit access to svn

Posted by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org>.