Posted to users@pdfbox.apache.org by Rajagopalan Srinivasan <ra...@gmail.com> on 2010/06/18 12:54:07 UTC

Still confused - String width to point size

Several of the PDFont methods have the explanation:

" The width is in 1000 unit of text space, ie 333 or 777" for string width
and so on.

I am not really clear what this means. How can I relate to points? Thanks
for any help.

Cheers, srini

Re: Still confused - String width to point size

Posted by Andreas Lehmkuehler <an...@lehmi.de>.
Hi,

Rajagopalan Srinivasan schrieb:
> Several of the PDFont methods have the explanation:
>
> " The width is in 1000 unit of text space, ie 333 or 777" for string width
> and so on.
>
> I am not really clear what this means. How can I relate to points? Thanks
> for any help.

Copied from th PDF-reference 1.7:

"The glyph widths are measured in units in which 1000 units corresponds to 1
unit in text space."

e.g.

font character width = 777
fontsize = 12pt
points in text space = 777/1000*12 = 9,324

BR
Andreas Lehmkühler