Posted to users@qpid.apache.org by cyril elkaim <cy...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/19 12:05:07 UTC

Which version of the Python libraries should I use?

Hello,

I'm new to Apache QPID and I'm warming up on it. My question seems silly but
i've found two versions of the Python libs. The first one built using the
C++ bindings and the one found in /qpid/python/ and /qpid/extras/.

I understand that if I want to use the Python management tools I need to
installed the pure Python version of the libraries. But if I want to use
QMF2 I need to use the C++ bindings version, is it correct?

My concern is to know which version to use for future development, are the
two versions continually maintained or do I need to stick with the Python,
or the C++, version?

BTW I've noted the C++ bindings are installed into the 'old' directory
/site-packages/ and the pure Python one into the 'new' /dist-packages/
directory. Seeing that and by browsing the API documentation it seems to me
that the pure Python is the future, is it correct too?

Thanks in advance,

Cyril Elkaim
www.wallix.com

Re: Which version of the Python libraries should I use?

Posted by cyril elkaim <cy...@gmail.com>.
Hi Gordon,

Thank you for your quick answer :)

So I will go the Python route at this time; I need the management tools.

In any case I've both bindings installed so i can cherry pick some features
if necessary I suppose.

Thanks again,

Posted by Gordon Sim <gs...@redhat.com>.
On 08/19/2011 11:05 AM, cyril elkaim wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm new to Apache QPID and I'm warming up on it. My question seems silly but
> i've found two versions of the Python libs. The first one built using the
> C++ bindings and the one found in /qpid/python/ and /qpid/extras/.
>
> I understand that if I want to use the Python management tools I need to
> installed the pure Python version of the libraries.

Yes, that's correct.

> But if I want to use
> QMF2 I need to use the C++ bindings version, is it correct?

No, not necessarily. It depends on how you want to use QMFv2. If you
want to use the new QMF APIs then it may well be that they are only
available from the bindings. The older pure python console API has a
messy mixture of v1 and v2 behind it I believe. Perhaps Ted or Ken can
comment on choices between these.

However you can also relatively easily use the QMFv2 protocol directly
over the messaging client by simply sending and receiving correctly
formatted map messages. A lot depends on your preference and use case.

> My concern is to know which version to use for future development, are the
> two versions continually maintained or do I need to stick with the Python,
> or the C++, version?

I would suggest you use the pure python client by default. We do want
the API between the two to converge and some good progress on that has
already been made (see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-3333).

> BTW I've noted the C++ bindings are installed into the 'old' directory
> /site-packages/ and the pure Python one into the 'new' /dist-packages/
> directory. Seeing that and by browsing the API documentation it seems to me
> that the pure Python is the future, is it correct too?

I think the future is to have a consistent API whichever implementation
option you choose. The c++ binding is more recent than the pure python
implementation and has not had as much use.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org