Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Denise Mangano <De...@complusdata.com> on 2002/12/12 16:37:33 UTC

RE: Apache-Tomcat mod_jk

Thank you very much for your help.  The instructions were easy enough to
follow, with a few exceptions.  I downloaded the mod_jk-1.3-eapi.so because
as per the site, that was the module to use if I am running Apache 1.3 with
mod_ssl.  After doing all the steps I tried to restart Apache and got the
following error message:

Starting httpd: Syntax error on line 4 of
/var/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.12/conf/auto/mod_jk.conf:
Cannot load /etc/httpd/libexec/mod_jk.so into server:
/etc/httpd/libexec/mod_jk.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

I changed the path in the mod_jk.conf file to  LoadModule jk_module
/the/exact/path/to/mod_jk-1.3-eapi.so

When I tried to restart Apache it restarted no problem.  But now I cannot
get to http://localhost:8080 when before I could. (http://localhost still
works though)  Any thoughts?  In the meantime I am going back to double
check everything.

Denise Mangano
Help Desk Analyst
Complus Data Innovations, Inc.

#1: Yes.

#2: No. :)

You don't need ant.  When I originally wrote the HOWTO, I thought you did,
so I hacked through getting it to work and put that in my HOWTO.  Then,
based on a tip from someone on the list I learned that I didn't need to go
through all that, all I needed to do was follow connector build option #2,
which is using the standard ./configure method.

So, basically, if you want to build the connector from source, all you have
to do is (assuming a GNU-ready build environment):

NOTE: the ./configure method assumes you have a sane build environment:
libtool, GNU make, autoconf, m4

a) cd to CONNECTOR_HOME/jk/native.

b) check README and README.configure.

c) run buildconf.sh: ./buildconf.sh. This will create a file called
"configure" in CONNECTOR_HOME/jk/native.

d) run configure: ./configure --with-apxs=/some/path/to/apache/bin/apxs
--with-java-home=${JAVA_HOME}

e) run make: make

g) You should end up with a mod_jk.so file in
CONNECTOR_HOME/jk/native/apache-1.3. Copy that mod_jk.so file to
/path/to/apache/libexec/.

John