Posted to users@maven.apache.org by gorgophol <ha...@googlemail.com> on 2012/01/19 08:26:59 UTC

Re: Combining profile activation parameters doesn't work

http://www.sonatype.com/books/mvnref-book/reference/profiles-sect-activation.html

"5.3.1. Activation Configuration
Activations can contain one of more selectors including JDK versions,
Operating System parameters, files, and properties. A profile is activated
when all activation criteria has been satisfied. For example, a profile
could list an Operating System family of Windows, and a JDK version of 1.4,
this profile will only be activated when the build is executed on a Windows
machine running Java 1.4."

That means my profiles should work ...
Anybody else had similar problems?
I definitaly can activate Windows and Unix profiles at the same time on the
same machine, just by adding a property.

Re: Combining profile activation parameters doesn't work

Posted by gorgophol <ha...@googlemail.com>.
Well my builds are working on every machine ;-)
That's why I used profiles, the way it was described in the settings
reference, to simplify testing on several different machines (Windows,
Linux, 32bit, 64bit ...)

And they work fine as long as I use only one condition for every profile.
The problem is, that they don't work as described in the settings reference,
when I use more than one condition.

Re: Combining profile activation parameters doesn't work

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
It appears that profiles are intrinsically evil and more people misuse
profiles than any other part of Maven.

I suspect that there are valid use cases for profiles but most of the
time, they seem to cause people a lot more problems than they fix and
they seem to encourage software development patterns that are the
opposite of best practices.

Profile use seems to be a black hole that attracts new users and
previous Ant users.

Until you have your build working properly without profiles, my advice
is to stay away from them.
Once you have your build working, then take a look at profiles to see if
you can consolidate or simplify your builds with them.

Free advice and worth every penny.

Ron

On 19/01/2012 3:58 AM, gorgophol wrote:
> If anybody is interested.
>
> This Bug can be found here ...
> And it seems nobody really wants to fix it.
>
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4565
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4516
> http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-3328

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc
email: rwheeler@artifact-software.com
skype: ronaldmwheeler
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Re: Combining profile activation parameters doesn't work