Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Anantha Padmanabha <an...@bankbazaar.com> on 2009/07/21 08:31:59 UTC

[users@httpd] Response time without client network delay

Hi,

I'm using Apache 2.2.8 and use %D to capture response times.

We did performance testing on newly purchased servers and made the same
machines go live.
Our latencies in production were greater than that of our perf run, even
though requests were much lower.
Then we figured out that client delays also factor in the response time and
our production clients are calling from slower network.
[This was confirmed again when we ran perf runs on production from clients
with different outgoing bandwidth]

So, we need a way to measure response time excluding client, to know apaches
performance. I've read
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_log_config.html.
Does %s do exactly this? [%s does not log in millisecs unfortunately]

Is there a way to get just the apache processing time [without client's
network] in milli/micro seconds?

Thanks
Anantha

Re: [users@httpd] Response time without client network delay

Posted by Jonas Eckerman <jo...@frukt.org>.
Anantha Padmanabha wrote:

> Is there a way to get just the apache processing time [without client's
> network] in milli/micro seconds?

Maybe mod_log_firstbyte would suite. Quotes:
---8<---
mod_log_firstbyte is a module for Apache 2.0 which allows you to log the
time between each request being read and the first byte of the response
served. Unlike the total serve time, this index of performance tells you
how long Apache actually spent loading the file off the disk or
executing your script: it's independent of client connection speed. It
makes a great performance benchmark for your server!
---8<---
The module adds a new option to your log format string: '%F'. This is
the request-to-first-byte time, in microseconds.
---8<---

I know it says it's for httd 2.0 in that text, but I'm using it with 2.2
here (from FreeBSD ports), and it seems to work.

Available at:
<http://mod-log-firstbyte.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/>
<http://code.google.com/p/mod-log-firstbyte/>

Regards
/Jonas
--
Jonas Eckerman
Fruktträdet & Förbundet Sveriges Dövblinda