Posted to dev@trafodion.apache.org by "Liu, Ming (Ming)" <mi...@esgyn.cn> on 2017/10/21 01:54:06 UTC

MDAM has sparse and dense mode, for string column, is it possible to use dense mode?

Hi,

I know Trafodion can use MDAM to reduce scanned rows. For probe, there are two ways: sparse and dense. If the column is INT, dense probe is just +1 operation, if the column is VARCHAR or FLOAT, how to do dense probe? Or we should say dense probe is only for INT data type?

thanks,
Ming

RE: MDAM has sparse and dense mode, for string column, is it possible to use dense mode?

Posted by Dave Birdsall <da...@esgyn.com>.
Hi Eric,

As I explained, the compiler does use probes (that is, sparse access) for character types in all cases.

Dave

Posted by Dave Birdsall <da...@esgyn.com>.
Hi Eric,

Posted by Eric Owhadi <er...@esgyn.com>.