Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Richard Jolly <ri...@mac.com> on 2004/12/16 01:24:48 UTC

permanently remove files from repository

Hi,

I know this has been asked before, but I just couldn't find it.

I'd like to remove some large files from earlier revisions in the
repository. They never should have been placed under version control,
and they make backups much larger than needed.

So what is the best way?

TIA, richard

Re: permanently remove files from repository

Posted by "Alex R. Mosteo" <al...@mosteo.com>.
Max Bowsher wrote:
> Alex R. Mosteo wrote:

>> Now, if someone could point to me any other option, because
>> svndumpfilter fails on me.
>

> No other option exists to my knowledge.
>
>> I have a quite large repo (about 1GB) and when trying to exclude a
>> single subtree of about 100MB, it says:
>>
>> $ svndumpfilter exclude whatever <dump_file >filtered_file
>> Se hizo commit de la revisión 169 como 169.
>> Se hizo commit de la revisión 170 como 170.
>> Se hizo commit de la revisión 171 como 171.
>> Aborted
>

> Well, that's a bug.
>
> Can you compile from source (or install a debuginfo RPM, if using a
> distibution which provides them), and run the process under the gdb
> debugger? When the program crashes, type "bt" at the gdb prompt to get a
> backtrace, and copy/paste all the information into an email.

gdb reports no symbols in my installed svn 1.1.0 (Mandrake 10). I see no
debugging package for download in the Mandrake 10 release.

When trying to build the 1.1.1 release I get this error (which I also
got in the past when trying to compile 1.1.0):

d subversion/mod_authz_svn && /bin/sh
/home/jano/tmp/s/subversion-1.1.1/libtool --silent --mode=link gcc  -g
-O2  -g -O2 -pthread  -DNEON_ZLIB  -L/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.2/lib
-rpath  -avoid-version -module -o mod_authz_svn.la  mod_authz_svn.lo
../../subversion/libsvn_subr/libsvn_subr-1.la
libtool: link: only absolute run-paths are allowed
make: *** [subversion/mod_authz_svn/mod_authz_svn.la] Error 1

Any ideas?

Re: permanently remove files from repository

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Alex R. Mosteo wrote:
> Richard Jolly wrote:

>>> http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html#removal
>>

>> D'oh. Thanks.
>
> Now, if someone could point to me any other option, because
> svndumpfilter fails on me.

No other option exists to my knowledge.

> I have a quite large repo (about 1GB) and when trying to exclude a
> single subtree of about 100MB, it says:
>
> $ svndumpfilter exclude whatever <dump_file >filtered_file
> Se hizo commit de la revisión 169 como 169.
> Se hizo commit de la revisión 170 como 170.
> Se hizo commit de la revisión 171 como 171.
> Aborted

Well, that's a bug.

Can you compile from source (or install a debuginfo RPM, if using a
distibution which provides them), and run the process under the gdb
debugger? When the program crashes, type "bt" at the gdb prompt to get a
backtrace, and copy/paste all the information into an email.

Max.

Re: permanently remove files from repository

Posted by "Alex R. Mosteo" <al...@mosteo.com>.
Richard Jolly wrote:

> On 16 Dec 2004, at 07:54, Johan Appelgren wrote:
>

>>> From: Richard Jolly [mailto:richardjolly@mac.com]
>>>
>>> I know this has been asked before [...]
>>

>> http://subversion.tigris.org/project_faq.html#removal
>

> D'oh. Thanks.

Now, if someone could point to me any other option, because
svndumpfilter fails on me.

I have a quite large repo (about 1GB) and when trying to exclude a
single subtree of about 100MB, it says:

$ svndumpfilter exclude whatever <dump_file >filtered_file
Se hizo commit de la revisión 169 como 169.
Se hizo commit de la revisión 170 como 170.
Se hizo commit de la revisión 171 como 171.
Aborted

However, just including that subtree works ok. I noticed it when trying
to split a repo in two. I could extract the interesting part, but then
could not remove it from the original repo.

All configurable ulimits set to unlimited.

Re: permanently remove files from repository

Posted by Richard Jolly <ri...@mac.com>.

Posted by Johan Appelgren <jo...@appelgren.org>.