Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Michael Garski <mg...@myspace.com> on 2008/02/22 01:26:55 UTC

Lucene.Net Comitters

Hello,

I've been in communication with George Aroush, the sole committer on the
Lucene.Net project, and he is bowing out from further involvement.

We use Lucene.Net on a daily basis and have resources on staff to
continue working on and improving Lucene.Net.  With only one committer
on the project that is really no longer involved, how do we get new
committers elected and 'transfer committership' to new individuals?

Thanks,

Michael Garski

Re: Lucene.Net Comitters

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.
On Friday 22 February 2008 16:01, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> I don't remember seeing a similar case in the past, did we have such a
> situation already?

FtpServer was in a similar position, where the original contributors and
mentors kind of busy with other things, and a single high-spirited soul
brought new life into it. The initial steps, getting NiklasG in as committer
and PPMC member went through the IPMC, I then stepped up as a mentor, and we
pulled in some more folks from Mina, whereto the project eventually
graduated.

I think the main problem facing all .NET projects at Apache is that we don't
have many .NET programmers in our folds, hence problem to find interested
parties to step up. Is that something we should actively try to fix, perhaps
by approaching flourishing OSS .NET projects (if there are any) and encourage
them to come to Apache?

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

I  live here; http://tinyurl.com/2qq9er
I  work here; http://tinyurl.com/2ymelc
I relax here; http://tinyurl.com/2cgsug

Re: Lucene.Net Comitters

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@odoko.co.uk>.
On Mon, 2008-02-25 at 09:17 -0800, Craig L Russell wrote:
> Hi Erik,
>
> In the incubator, responsibility for proposing new committers lies
> with the PPMC, which is a problem here because both of the folks with
> this responsibility are leaving.
>
> I'd agree with you to kick the project back to the Lucene PMC for
> further action.
>
> Restarting the project will require new Mentors (hopefully 3 will
> volunteer) and new committers, which sounds like a full proposal to
> the incubator would be the right path to take. Looking through the
> documentation on the incubator site, I can't find the original (wiki)
> proposal nor who the sponsoring entity is.

Proposing new committers would typically lie within a PPMC. However,
accepting them is the job of the Incubator PMC. If a podling does not
have enough committers to vote in a new committer, all that is needed is
three +1 votes from IPMC members, and someone is in. Having said that,
getting three IPMC members to the position where they can vote might not
be easy.

For a small project, of one or two committers, I'd say expecting three
mentors is serious overkill. One would be enough, at least to get the
podling restarted.

Regards, Upayavira

Re: Lucene.Net Comitters

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
Hi Erik,

In the incubator, responsibility for proposing new committers lies
with the PPMC, which is a problem here because both of the folks with
this responsibility are leaving.

I'd agree with you to kick the project back to the Lucene PMC for
further action.

Restarting the project will require new Mentors (hopefully 3 will
volunteer) and new committers, which sounds like a full proposal to
the incubator would be the right path to take. Looking through the
documentation on the incubator site, I can't find the original (wiki)
proposal nor who the sponsoring entity is.

Craig

On Feb 25, 2008, at 8:54 AM, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> On Feb 22, 2008, at 7:52 AM, Santiago Gala wrote:

>>> Why would that be a good idea? The infrastructure is already set
>>> up and
>>> working at Apache, and Lucene (the actual one!) is an Apache
>>> project.
>>
>> If I remember correctly, Lucene.NET is supposed to graduate into
>> Lucene.
>> I guess the Lucene PMC would be a good place to ask for opinion or
>> volunteers for keeping the .NET port alive.
>
> I have passed this issue over to the Lucene PMC (CC'd here too).
> There are two issues, one is in getting some interested committers
> added to the project - and there have been a few folks that have
> contributed significantly to the project that would be suitable I
> think.
>
> The second issue is that I am not the right person to continue to
> mentor this project.  I have never used (nor intend to use) .NET,
> and I also have no time/interest for helping with this project.  My
> Lucene focus has turned to Solr, which I say is a better way to put
> Lucene on .NET anyway (though of course that requires running a JVM
> in the mix too, which is of course prohibitive in many .NET
> environments).  So we really need a new mentor for this project as
> well.
>
> There may be a Lucene PMCer who is interested in volunteering to
> mentor, but he is not an Apache Member.  As I understand it,
> membership is required to be a mentor, right?
>
> Where to now?
>
> Thanks,
> 	Erik

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: Lucene.Net Comitters

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Re: Lucene.Net Comitters

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.
El vie, 22-02-2008 a las 09:34 +0100, Endre Stølsvik escribió:
> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
> > Another option might be to take the code somewhere else for a while,
> > work on it, gather a community and come back to the incubator when the
> > project has gathered some momentum.
>
> Why would that be a good idea? The infrastructure is already set up and
> working at Apache, and Lucene (the actual one!) is an Apache project.

If I remember correctly, Lucene.NET is supposed to graduate into Lucene.
I guess the Lucene PMC would be a good place to ask for opinion or
volunteers for keeping the .NET port alive.

My 2cents
Santiago

> Given that these folks have even submitten a single patch, and share the
> view of the Lucene.Net project description (a clean .Net-copy, API wise
> but most importantly, bitwise copy index wise), why not just grant them
> committership? It is in the incubator, and it does apparently still have
> some _slight_ traction. You could simply delay the killing-off somewhat
> - who knows, maybe it'll revive. .. Or else that project might just die,
> which probably would be a shame.
>
> Regards,
> Endre.

Santiago Gala
http://memojo.com/~sgala/blog/

Re: Lucene.Net Comitters

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 9:34 AM, Endre Stølsvik <En...@stolsvik.com> wrote:

> Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
>
>  > Another option might be to take the code somewhere else for a while,
>  > work on it, gather a community and come back to the incubator when the
>  > project has gathered some momentum.
>
>  Why would that be a good idea? The infrastructure is already set up and
>  working at Apache, and Lucene (the actual one!) is an Apache project....

I was just mentioning going elsewhere for a while as another option -
I'm not against voting new committers for Lucene.net, though it might
be good for more mentors to step up, if that happens.

-Bertrand

Re: Lucene.Net Comitters

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <En...@stolsvik.com>.

Re: Lucene.Net Comitters

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 1:26 AM, Michael Garski <mg...@myspace.com> wrote:

> ... I've been in communication with George Aroush, the sole committer on the
>  Lucene.Net project, and he is bowing out from further involvement....

According to http://incubator.apache.org/projects/lucene.net.html
Lucene.Net has one mentor and one committer, so if that's correct
there's no way to get three +1 votes for a new committer...weird.

> ... We use Lucene.Net on a daily basis and have resources on staff to
>  continue working on and improving Lucene.Net.  With only one committer
>  on the project that is really no longer involved, how do we get new
>  committers elected and 'transfer committership' to new individuals?...

I guess in such a case, the Incubator PMC could decide to vote new
committers in, based on mailing list activity and proposed patches.
Though in that case I'm not sure if your patches are even being
applied?