Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by "Yu, Libo " <li...@citi.com> on 2013/05/09 16:44:05 UTC

key used by producer

Hi,

I am looking at the example producer code for kafka 0.8.
I notice it is possible to specify a key when creating
KeyedMessage. This key will be used for assigning the
message to some partition. I wonder if the key will be
received by the consumer. Thanks.

Libo

Re: key used by producer

Posted by Jun Rao <ju...@gmail.com>.
Yes, our consumer iterator returns MessageAndMetadata. You can do
consumerIterator.next().key() to get the key.

Thanks,

Jun

Re: key used by producer

Posted by David Arthur <mu...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I'm pretty sure keys are now retained with the message and returned
in the consumer.

In the Java/Scala client, ConsumerIterator returns a MessageAndMetadata
which includes key, message, topic, partition, and offset

-David