Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Derek Hohls <DH...@csir.co.za> on 2004/05/06 09:49:45 UTC

Cocoon Docs - The Next Generation

There's been a lot of discussion on the mailing list
about *what* to improve. Time to start putting fingers
to the keyboard and work on doing it....

I *assume* that the Wiki is the logical place to start;
and that the Doc Team will work from there to update
the main site... right?

At the moment, there is:
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Cocoon215TOC
as the current "index" page for the overall structure, but can
we not add a logical set of related pages:

eg.
Cocoon215Changes - changes people want to see to
specific pages on the main site [eg. replace X with Y;
remove page Z because....; add a page about M etc]

Cocoon215Tutorials - everyone wants to learn!  Add a
wishlist or, even better, a link to an artilce or website
that explains an idea or concept very well

There are probably others.... but this seems to cover
some of what has been raised to date.

Derek

believed to be clean.

Re: Cocoon Docs - The Next Generation

Posted by Upayavira <uv...@upaya.co.uk>.
Derek Hohls wrote:

>There's been a lot of discussion on the mailing list
>about *what* to improve. Time to start putting fingers
>to the keyboard and work on doing it....
>
>I *assume* that the Wiki is the logical place to start;
>and that the Doc Team will work from there to update
>the main site... right?

The thing is, there isn't a doc team as such. It is just us lot. So, I
would say, start on the wiki by all means, but if you want to see the
official docs improve, send in patches to the xdoc files (it is pretty
easy once you've got the hang of it). Then we can commit those patches
(assuming they're any good) into CVS, and hey presto! Send enough good
patches, we'll get sufficiently irritated ;-) and will give you commit
rights on the repository - you'll then be able to just update it yourself.

>At the moment, there is:
>http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=Cocoon215TOC
>as the current "index" page for the overall structure, but can
>we not add a logical set of related pages:

That is a proposal. It could be taken a lot further.

>eg.
>Cocoon215Changes - changes people want to see to
>specific pages on the main site [eg. replace X with Y;
>remove page Z because....; add a page about M etc]

Don't relate name of this page to a specific version. It should be
rolling. When a change request has been handled and is in CVS, it is
removed from this page. So: DocumentationChangeRequests, I would suggest.

>Cocoon215Tutorials - everyone wants to learn!  Add a
>wishlist or, even better, a link to an artilce or website
>that explains an idea or concept very well

Isn't there a tutorials page already? Better to improve that than to add
another page.

Regards, Upayavira