Posted to dev@atlas.apache.org by Russell Anderson <rg...@us.ibm.com> on 2016/11/02 22:55:07 UTC

Atlas server will not start up correctly when using solr and hbase

(See attached file: application.log)- my application log after having
manually created the Solr indexes as seen below

https://www.mail-archive.com/dev@atlas.incubator.apache.org/msg07653.html
from Hermanth Yamijala dated Jun 22, 2016

The person reporting this in the above URL had exactly the same error as I
did.

The recommendation was to following these steps and create the Solr Indices
- Which I did however no change in startup behavior.

QUESTION 1: Am I wasting my time using this type of configuration OR is
there something else required for this type of configuration not
documented?

QUESTION 2 - Hermanth Yamijala noted that when using
berkleydb_elasticsearch the Atlas server starts up without error - IS THIS
the only way to get Atlas to run?

Take note that I am using or trying to use Atlas 7 rc2, and Hermanth tried
both this version and version .8 incubating-Snapshot.

Any help or advice is appreciated.

Regards,

Russell G. Anderson
Center of Excellence
 Senior Technical Architect

----- Forwarded by Russell Anderson/Worcester/IBM on 11/02/2016 05:39 PM
-----

From:	Russell Anderson/Worcester/IBM
To:	Russell Anderson/Worcester/IBM@IBMUS
Date:	11/02/2016 05:33 PM
Subject:	Create the indices required by solr5

TO MAKE IT WORK RIGHT I HAD TO REMOVE the -d option since it defaults to
the correct directory

The URL for the following was FOUND :
http://atlas.incubator.apache.org/InstallationSteps.html

      For e.g., to bring up a Solr node listening on port 8983 on a
      machine, you can use the command:
      $SOLR_HOME/bin/solr start -c -z <zookeeper_host:port> -p 8983

      Run the following commands from SOLR_BIN (e.g. $SOLR_HOME/bin)
      directory to create collections in Solr corresponding to the indexes
      that Atlas uses. In the case that the ATLAS and SOLR instance are on
      2 different hosts,
first copy the required configuration files from ATLAS_HOME/conf/solr on
the ATLAS instance host to the Solr instance host. SOLR_CONF in the below
mentioned commands refer to the directory where the solr configuration
files have been copied to on Solr host:
  $SOLR_BIN/solr create -c vertex_index -d SOLR_CONF -shards #numShards
-replicationFactor #replicationFactor
  $SOLR_BIN/solr create -c edge_index -d SOLR_CONF -shards #numShards
-replicationFactor #replicationFactor
  $SOLR_BIN/solr create -c fulltext_index -d SOLR_CONF -shards #numShards
-replicationFactor #replicationFactor

Note: If numShards and replicationFactor are not specified, they default to
1 which suffices if you are trying out solr with ATLAS on a single node
instance. Otherwise specify numShards according to the number of hosts that
are in the Solr cluster and the maxShardsPerNode configuration. The number
of shards cannot exceed the total number of Solr nodes in your !SolrCloud
cluster.

The number of replicas (replicationFactor) can be set according to the
redundancy required.

Also note that solr will automatically be called to create the indexes when
the Atlas server is started if the SOLR_BIN and SOLR_CONF environment
variables are set and the search indexing backend is set to 'solr5'.

Russell G. Anderson
 Senior Technical Consultant