Posted to dev@poi.apache.org by Chris Bamford <cb...@mimecast.com> on 2011/03/31 13:00:49 UTC

Extract image files from older documents

Hi there,

I would like to know if image files (pictures) can be extracted from the following document types:

  doc
  xls
  ppt
  pdf

Please note that I am not asking about newer MS Office formats (docx, pptx, xlsx ...) here - just the older ones and PDF.

Thanks

- Chris

Re: Extract image files from older documents

Posted by Maxim Valyanskiy <ma...@jet.msk.su>.
Hello!

31.03.2011, в 15:00, Chris Bamford написал(а):

> Hi there,
>
> I would like to know if image files (pictures) can be extracted from the following document types:
>
>  doc
>  xls
>  ppt
>  pdf
>
> Please note that I am not asking about newer MS Office formats (docx, pptx, xlsx ...) here - just the older ones and PDF.

Yes, use can use POI to extract embedded jpeg/png/etc pictures from doc/xls/ppt. PDF format is not supported by POI, I suggest you to look at PDFBox.

best wishes, Max